89 Cadillac Coupe De Ville tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 12:42 AM
Tech Certified Members

sounds like you should just find a used one that works and have it looked over and go from there. if not take your losses and try to find some one as ... nice as you to buy the car and take your money and run like the previous guy did. LOL

Old 08-23-2009, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by slowroll
You bought a car with a trans problem to start with. The owner most likely had car checked out prior to selling, which may be why lack of debris. Trans not electric shift - computer doesn't control shifting other than TCC. In a "nutshell" trans needs to come out to be repaired or replaced. V6 trans should bolt up there are 2 different final drives (speedo) also TCC can be an issue. Your best bet is to find a the correct trans - use the info on the tag on your transmission to find the correct one. Make sure to flush trans cooler before running next trans so debris possible in it won't cause failure. Check to be sure modulator has strong vacuum - carbon build up in T-body can lead to weak signal effecting line pressure causing failure. Possible causes of initial problem : torque converter, pump/pressure regulator, internal leakage.
Slowroll,
Thanks. I got the car knowing that the tranny was not working. This tranny is not that easy to find on Craigslist which I was hoping for. Is the FSM available at the Caddy dealer ? I think that is my next purchase. Thanks again
Originally Posted by stomper
Them metal shavings is a bad bad sign.

I agree .. if you bought from the owner, this was likely a sale in bad faith
or
if the car was traded in and you got it from a dealer, the dealer probably never saw the problem.
Stomper,
When I saw the shavings, I knew it was not a good sign. I knew about the tranny not functioning. The guy I bought it from was a friend of my brothers and he told him and I about it.

Originally Posted by 92_Daddylac
sounds like you should just find a used one that works and have it looked over and go from there. if not take your losses and try to find some one as ... nice as you to buy the car and take your money and run like the previous guy did. LOL
Daddylac,
I will get a used one when one pops up. I am not really in a hurry to get it on the road. I doubt there are people as... nice as me because I am way too nice of a person, but I know watcha mean. There are people out there that target "nice" people. Good thing I am not "that" nice

Old 08-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by 89caddy
Slowroll,
Thanks. I got the car knowing that the tranny was not working. This tranny is not that easy to find on Craigslist which I was hoping for. Is the FSM available at the Caddy dealer ? I think that is my next purchase. Thanks again

lots of them everywhere ...

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=198...wner&_osacat=0

Old 08-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by 89caddy
Daddylac,
I will get a used one when one pops up. I am not really in a hurry to get it on the road. I doubt there are people as... nice as me because I am way too nice of a person, but I know watcha mean. There are people out there that target "nice" people. Good thing I am not "that" nice
LOL your a funny guy. atleast you can take a joke. some people just get offended. lol. well good luck and keep us posted on what you do.