allante ABS doesn work

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:36 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default allante ABS doesn work

ABS doesn work? park it and do not drive it until it is fixed. These brakes are not to be messed with.

The response by moose is out of ignorance. An Allante w/o ABS is basically a car with 3 or 4 stops away from a total failure.

PARK IT ...

car_collector

I'm a long time car collector that just could not pass up a nice running 1987 Allante. But there are a few issues that I can use some help with. The power steering is at times hard to turn.( Like the power part comes and goes)The belt is new and the P/S fluid is fine. Does that mean the pump is bad? The ABS doesn't work. Is it o.k to drive without it? and last the DIC display shows just a rear light is out, Does that mean as the owners manual states that the every thing else is working as it should? The value that these cars offer in teams of looks and options is many,mant times what the purchase price is Thanks for any help
moose

Sorry I can't answer it all, but here is what I know. The brakes will work without the ABS function. You simply won't have the stopping benefits of the ABS. As far as the lights, you will probably find that there is one light out. There is a redundancy built into the system. Make sure you use the correct bulb. It should be a 2057 with a brass base. I purchased them at NAPA. The 1157 bulb which people often install can cause overheating and melting of the socket and lens. This is a very expensive repair/replacement. I can't say what the deal with the PS pump is. Good luck.

Last edited by stomper; 04-14-2009 at 09:38 AM.