471 Clueless questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 02:48 PM
Cool 471 Clueless questions

I just got my first ever Eldorado, Its an unmolested '68 that theoretically should run. I'm told the engine has turned over in the last year, fired a few times, but did not wake up and run. I'll be changing the oil/filter, etc, and will probably bypass the gas tank and try to feed it fresh gas from a clean gas can, but I'm still not sure what I'm doing. Planning to fog the cylinders and just roll it over several times with no plugs to get the rotating assembly used to rotating. Do what I can to flush the cooling system..........
1. Should I use resistor spark plugs such as AC Delco R43XLS?
2. I'm considering converting the distributor (and coil) to an HEI setup rather than try to battle with the points/condensor system while I'm trying to figure out if it wants to run or not. There seem to be a couple of converted distributors available on ebay. Any comments or thoughts??
3. Plan to use 10/30 detergent oil (not a synthetic) and without any special additives. Comments or thoughts??

Thanks for any help!

Old 07-20-2017, 12:57 PM
Tech Certified Members

Cool Car. Draining and filling coolant is no big deal. If you want to pull plugs and see their condition. install the correct AC plugs. I would see if you can get it running as is before trying to change it to HEI. Engine is 472 not 471. 10w30. with API starburst spraying WD40 or similar product in spark plug holes is a good idea. If you have a compression gauge, I would install it to be sure there is compression (jumped timing chain). Good luck. If you are going to pour fuel down carb use a shot glass. Add it stand back then crank it. You don't want to be holding or adding fuel if engine backfires. easy to have a flash fire.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:24 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I just ordered a set of AC Delco 44N plugs, which I think are correct for the '68 Eldo? I knew it was a 472 but I'm terrible at keyboarding and didn't realize my flub until after I posted the thread.
I didn't get any keys with the car, and I've figured out the key code for the ignition, but not the trunk. Shouldn't there be a remote trunk popper somewhere inside the cabin? Can't find it.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:53 PM
Tech Certified Members

Trunk popper would be a option, typically in the glove box. If you remove rear seat back you maybe be able to unbolt trunk lock and open trunk. Then take cylinder to lock smith. The other choice is to drill cylinder, make sure you have a new cylinder first. the parts guy should be able to look up correct plugs. Resistor plugs would be ok non resistor plugs aren't common anymore.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:57 AM

Thanks Slowroll, I appreciate the help! BTW - nice boat!

Old 07-22-2017, 09:38 AM

Hey Slowroll I had one other question. If I can get it running, and I don't plan to do anything other than see how it sounds, do I need to worry about the transmission at all? I don't intend to even put it in gear, but do I need to know anything about the condition of the trans in order to fire up the engine???

Old 07-22-2017, 06:39 PM
Tech Certified Members

Not really its a THM 425, very tough transmission. Just make sure it is full. Look over linkage( under hood) make sure it's intact and not sloppy.