Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 11:46 PM
Default Transmission Problem

I am recently starting to feel alot of slippage in my transmission from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 2nd to 3rd. It was kind of bad when I first bought the car but it got even worse when I topped my transmission fluid off does anybody know why this is like that.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:54 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by Cadragious
I am recently starting to feel alot of slippage in my transmission from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 2nd to 3rd. It was kind of bad when I first bought the car but it got even worse when I topped my transmission fluid off does anybody know why this is like that.
probably the clutches are glazed .. drop the fluid level and add a couple bottles of LUCAS Transmission Fix, that may help ... do not overfill.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:24 PM

Ok I will try that I keep hearing about this lucas I will test it out is there any other way to drain some of the fluid without dropping the trans pan....

Old 02-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Tech Certified Members

What year/model car is it?

Old 02-22-2011, 06:23 PM

It's a 93 seville 4.9l

Old 02-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Tech Certified Members

Thanks...
It's possible the trans is simply worn out, or has been run low on fluid, and the clutches are burning.
Does it work any differently hot or cold, as in, does it work better when cold, and get worse hot?
Chances are, it's time for a rebuild. You may want to remove the pan and see if there is any indication of damage, such as excessive doo-doo(hi-tech term for debris) in there that would indicate a major issue. If the pan is clean, then using the Lucas additive along with new fluid and filter might help.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:26 AM

It usually rides smoother when it's cold. Ever since I adjusted my idle to around 600-700 from 400-500 the gears change a little smoother but still a slight skip in them. Could a bad ISC motor affect anything? Thanks for the help in advance.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:43 AM
Tech Certified Members

im pretty sure the ics isnt the problem it just controls the idle for the engine. my question,what color is the fluid? i would also check for leaks if you were low to begin with. You might need new filters but it might be a bad idea if the fluid is already black i know from experience lol.

So my advise is hold off on changing filters and fluid for now. try what stomper sugested and see what happens if it doesnt change anything or helps just a lil. my bet is the clutches are bad and they're using the gritty old fluid to keep from totaly slipping till the clutches wear out completely. i also tried lucas and it helped but 6months later i was slipping to the point i was stuck in my driveway. Also part of the reason you arent slipping when its cold is the fluid is thicker and theres more fluid pressure because of this. So with lucas keeping the fluid a bit thicker when warmed up it will actually help but will end up failing in the end as you put more wear on the clutches.

i had the same issue you had but was slipping the most when cold. my fluid level was good i changed out the filters, i noticed that everything was spotless and clean with no heavy chunks of metal.(100k on transmission) The biggest problem i noticed was my fluid was damn near black and after it had new filters and fluid i found it wouldnt engage ended up having to get trany rebuilt. works great now but my bank is broke and now i gota fix that. lol

Last edited by 92_Daddylac; 03-02-2011 at 04:53 AM.