Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 03:42 AM
Default Transmission problem

I have a '99 SLS and I have a P0741 trouble code. When I approach a stop the engine dies. It will restart immediately but even in park, it will die after about 30 seconds. I have had several shops tell me the same thing, OVERHAUL. Is this what is really needed? This cadillac has 140K miles on it and it has been stellar for me for alomost two years. Please help any info would be helpful

Old 12-14-2006, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Transmission problem

To properly repair a TCC problem (P0741 TCC stuck off) The tranny needs to be removed and opened up.
Any aftermarket shop that knows this will quote you an overhaul price as it wont be much more than just the repair and your vehical is high mileage.
Your transmission is very strong and it probably doesn't need an overhaul.
Most tranny shops qutoe an overhaul on almost every job.

Get a quote from the dealer. You may find there price to be inline with a better warranty and O.E. parts.
Also a GM reman trans comes with a 3 yr 50,000 mile warranty.

If you plan on keeping this car a while that may be your best bet.

BTW i have never seen a p0741 code make the car stall.
I think you have a differnt problem there.

Old 12-15-2006, 06:31 AM
Default RE: Transmission problem

Thanks for the info. When this began, I replaced an O2 sensor and a Crankshaft postion sensor that were flagged as bad. The problem persisted, so I replaced the Fuel filter and still had the same problem. Air filter is new also. The weather turned very cold here very suddenly but I don't know if that had anything to do with it. I also put HEET and some injector cleaner additive in the fuel to rule out those issues. All I have are the P0741 trouble code. Plugs and wires are relatively new. I replaced them in April 2006 about 10k miles ago. Engine idles smooth. Power is smooth and shifts are smooth. I will see if the shop will just repair the problem and not overhaul unless the price is similar. The dealer around here wouldn't even consider a repair. I don't know if this helps more or not. Again, thanks for the info.