Tranny Wizards do your magic

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 09:46 PM
Default Tranny Wizards do your magic

Guru's, I have a newly acquired 79 eldorado biarritz that slips in the low gears. The spark plugs were caked and I believe it to have rarely been serviced. What would be step one? It also leaks da tranny fluid from a few spots around the pan, under the tranny.

I have owned it for 3 days, the 2nd day I added Lucas Tranny fix, to the tranny, and have been driving it a lot to try to work out the gunk. I thought it was getting better, but I now don't think so as I smell burnt tranny fluid and it slips just about as much.

Any and all help mucho appreciated

Old 03-02-2009, 04:13 PM

just an update for those reading, just dropped the tranny pan (no plug to drain which I thought was odd) have a gasket otw and a tranny filter. The pan had a bit of shrapnel in it and the tranny filter seemed to leak out the side of the seal.

I read if the transmission filter seal leaks it could ingest air and cause low transmission hydraulic pressure which can allow the clutch discs to slip, so I am going to just replace the tranny filter since I'm in there and cross my fingers.

The tranny filter had a bunch of small bits of metal under the plastic above the top filter, not sure what that means.

Filter $13 and gasket $12 at schucks so far into the tranny cheap, well plus fluid and that damn lucas fix stuff that just drained out :P, should have fixed the leaking then put the xpensive stuff in.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by WolfmansEldorado
just an update for those reading, just dropped the tranny pan (no plug to drain which I thought was odd) have a gasket otw and a tranny filter. The pan had a bit of shrapnel in it and the tranny filter seemed to leak out the side of the seal.

I read if the transmission filter seal leaks it could ingest air and cause low transmission hydraulic pressure which can allow the clutch discs to slip, so I am going to just replace the tranny filter since I'm in there and cross my fingers.

The tranny filter had a bunch of small bits of metal under the plastic above the top filter, not sure what that means.

Filter $13 and gasket $12 at schucks so far into the tranny cheap, well plus fluid and that damn lucas fix stuff that just drained out :P, should have fixed the leaking then put the xpensive stuff in.

I hope you still have it .. is it metal or fiber.
if metal, is it magnetic ?

Old 03-03-2009, 12:46 PM

not only did I wipe it up and throw it in a garbage bag,,, I just took the garbage to the dump, argh.

It was bits of silver if i remember correctly, my bad.

Hey i do remember that when I drained out the pan it all ended up in a corner and not attached to the magnet pad thing, maybe not magnetic idk

Old 03-04-2009, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by WolfmansEldorado
not only did I wipe it up and throw it in a garbage bag,,, I just took the garbage to the dump, argh.

It was bits of silver if i remember correctly, my bad.

Hey i do remember that when I drained out the pan it all ended up in a corner and not attached to the magnet pad thing, maybe not magnetic idk
to you and all those reading this, knowing the materials can .. can .. be helpful.
knowing whether it is fiber or metal and/or magnetic can help point to what is the problem.

metallic, silver like, points to aluminum.
fiber & aluminum may point to the clutches. but we dont know if any fiber was present?

it is an older design, dont know if any gears are made from aluminum .. maybe someone familiar with your model, will chime in on this one.

Last edited by Stealth; 03-04-2009 at 02:25 AM.