How to Correct Over-filled Tranny - Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Old 08-08-2017, 05:17 PM

Default How to Correct Over-filled Tranny

Last wk bought '84 Eldo 4.1 with 4-spd auto; has 51,000 miles. During first open-road trip, when depressing gas pedal, eng/tranny would jerk when downshifting 4th to 3rd. When coming to stop, tranny hesitated to disengage (shuddered like not pushing in clutch soon enough w/stand shift) and then before engine stall, would let go into neutral and engine rpms would shoot-up for a second then down to idle in neutral. Otherwise tranny shifting seems normal.

Don't have repair manual yet. Looking around this forum, the '84 Owner's Manual and an old Chilton Repair Manual that only goes up to 1956 Cad hydromatic's .... I first checked Tranny fluid level. Fluid looks new/recent. Hot in Park = 2 inches above "Full"; Cold after two minutes running in Park shows = 1 inch above "Full". So "bingo" (maybe ?). Saw no evidence of "foaming" on dip stick.

Question #1: Do I need to (1) drain all the fluid out (converter and pan) or (2) just the pan or (3) can I try to drain just a little out of the pan ?

Question #2: Old Chilton Manual says check level in neutral; '84 Owner's Manual says in Park. Any difference ?

Question #3: Tranny Capacity .... Owner's Manual say 5.3 Qts with filter (Cad P# 8635927) change. Not familiar with Cadillac 's yet - What is "Final Drive" unit ? (3.2 Pints) A separate camber ?

Any help greatly appreciated.

SENIOR MOMENT PS ! .... Have a small hand pump I bought to put SAE 90 gear oil into my old Ford standard tranny case. Bet I can attach a 1/4" vinyl tube to the suction side of the hand pump, stick it down the dip stick tube (engine not running) and gradually remove small amounts fluid until the proper level is achieved.

Last edited by Drbrown; 08-08-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:32 AM

No responses. Paid dealer to fix it.