all right, transmission time!

Old 02-13-2008, 02:27 AM
Default all right, transmission time!

1995 cadillac deville, 4.9L, 4T60-E transmission, 150,000 miles, heres whats happening, while driving it approaches the point at which it SHOULD shift, and drives a little past it, and then shifts to second and gives a little bump, so i decided, hell time for a drain and fill w/ filter, so i pull the pan and find something of great interest, a chewed up thrust washer JOY!, so im going out on a limb here and guessing that it porbably from one of the drums, think i can make the rest of the winter on the tranny? and if so i got a quote for a BENCH build on it at 1100 w/ a new converter, but my converter is good, the stall is right at spec still, so i wanted to know if i could rebuild it myself? i rebuild engines and alternators and crap, transmissions always kinda scared me, id like to save some money on this and doin it myself would be much cheaper lol, tell me what u guys think?!

Old 02-13-2008, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: all right, transmission time!

ORIGINAL: Lithorian

1995 cadillac deville, 4.9L, 4T60-E transmission, 150,000 miles, heres whats happening, while driving it approaches the point at which it SHOULD shift, and drives a little past it, and then shifts to second and gives a little bump, so i decided, hell time for a drain and fill w/ filter, so i pull the pan and find something of great interest, a chewed up thrust washer JOY!, so im going out on a limb here and guessing that it porbably from one of the drums, think i can make the rest of the winter on the tranny? and if so i got a quote for a BENCH build on it at 1100 w/ a new converter, but my converter is good, the stall is right at spec still, so i wanted to know if i could rebuild it myself? i rebuild engines and alternators and crap, transmissions always kinda scared me, id like to save some money on this and doin it myself would be much cheaper lol, tell me what u guys think?!
There is a CD out there that does the rebuild step by step and its made for specific models.
OF course, it assumes that one has skill and can use hand tools.

Requires patience, organization and CLEANLINESS.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:26 PM
Tech Certified Members

You can't stress the CLEANLINESS enough when working on transmissions. The thickness of that trust washer is huge. If that clearance isnt kept in the transmission futher damage will happen. I cant remember if I tore down a 4T60 before but I am sure they are almost 100% similar to the RWD 4L60s. So driving anywhere else is outta the question if you want to keep this transmission. Like Stealth said Organization n patience is a great deal also. [sm=signs003.gif]

Old 02-29-2008, 12:59 AM
Tech Certified Members

Hey Lith: I applaud you if you do decide to take this on yourself. BUT you did ask what we thought right?? Well my thoughts are, what have you been smoking?????

Old 02-29-2008, 11:51 PM

i smoke nothing why?

Old 03-01-2008, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Lithorian

i smoke nothing why?
I think he just meant that as a figure of speech because this is not normally a do-it yourself project. Good luck with it.

G.A.R.Y.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Tech Certified Members

leave it to brouugham1......lol what are you smokin.... lol......... .. i also love the answer....so innocent......lol

your the best bro......lol

rick