Aluminum Block V8s 4.1, 4.5, 4.6, and 4.9 liter engines.

HELP PLEASE, NEED INPUT, 83 El Dorado

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Default HELP PLEASE, NEED INPUT, 83 El Dorado

If you have anything to offer in the way of advice or direction it would be SO appreciated.
My car is at the shop and the diagnosis charges are racking up!

My 1983 Cadillac El Dorado (4.1 Liter V-8 Gas engine) started dying on me periodically.

Seems as though when it is warm, never in the first 10 minutes of driving.
Never in full acceleration but not always when DEcelerrating the car dies as if out of gas.
It immediately turns over and starts like a champ but dies immediately.

Let is sit 30 minutes and you are fine. The weather here has been cold and a bit damp since the problem started occurring-the problem is becoming more frequent and you have to let it sit longer.

First time ever, Friday morning it died right on morning start up. Had it towed to my shop. They say it is not fuel related as the car has correct fuel pressure when the car is running and dies. The mechanic says he is 80% certain it is the control module for the distributor but cant say for certain. The fuel system and a lot of vacuum lines have been replaced in the last year. The vacuum pump belt was recently replaced and I had a transmission service and brake fluid flush. The tranny & brake services were performed after the problem was occurring.

Do you have any input OR know of a place that I can ask questions at little or no cost. This car is draining my wallet.

Thank you so much for your time J

Old 10-24-2007, 07:07 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: HELP PLEASE, NEED INPUT, 83 El Dorado

Check grounds at intake and right head. Is service engine soon or now light on?Check for codes.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:21 PM

Service soon light has flickered from time to time since I got the car 3 years ago, nothing really different since this problem started.

Do you know how to check the codes? Is it holding the OFF and WARMER buttons?

Old 10-24-2007, 07:28 PM
Tech Certified Members

yes

Old 10-25-2007, 01:59 PM

There are grounds bolted at the right head that are not connected to anything. There are about 5 wires that are jsut bolted but not connected to anything, however these wires have been like this since I have owned the car.

My mechanic says he thinks this is a problem with the control module for the distributor or the pick up assembly. HE gets it to start up and die out but DOES NOT have the problem of it not starting back up for him,when this happensit has appropriate fuel pressure and fire in the plugs.

Everytime I had this problem the car turn over and start like a champ over and over but die after about 3-5 seconds. It would HAVE to sit for at least 15 minutes before it would run again but then it would be fine. My mechanicgets the carto dieon him but for him it starts back up and stays running right away everytime!

What the heck? Any ideas are REALLY welcome and REALLY appreciated!
Thanks my friend!