Aluminum Block V8s 4.1, 4.5, 4.6, and 4.9 liter engines.

general question 99 STS engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Default general question 99 STS engine

I have read these engines idle very smooth, and Ihave read the rough Idle threads.

How smooth? I know thats hard to qualify, but... I have a olds with a 3.4, runs perfect, My caddy I would say runs better but only just.. at idle. I can feel the car running.. and I do feel a slight rough spot (if you could call it that) once and awhile. I am wondering if I am just looking for problems that are not there or if my car inst as smooth as it should be. I do know once the car is at 1000 RPM's you cant tell its running, except for the sound.. cant feel it in cab at all.

My car just bumped 100,000 so I guess its due for plugs/wires.. and from other posts maybe coil packs (any way to test those?). really not to excited about plugs as i have seen far to many stripped out aluminum plug threads. in those econo boxes the public think are better then sliced bread (honda, mazda, toyata, I'm looking at you).

How do the caddy heads (plug wise) hold up.. many horror stories on stripped threads (not counting the headbolts)?

last question for those of you with cold weather (err.. I know for some of you that is 30degres.. sorry, thats not cold) those 10-30 below days.. we just had 0 here (colder with windchill).. my car seems slightly louder on startup(engine wise) im not talking any actual mechanicl problems.. just like its slightly louder overall, valve trane i guess. I think sicne i got such a good deal on this car I just am looking for problems.. and im seeing ghosts where there are none.

thanks!

Old 11-22-2008, 11:30 PM
Default RE: general question 99 STS engine

i think i know what your saying about "feeling it run" yes i would agree with you that when it is idleing you can feel a very slight rough spot now then. but for the most part thats the way the northstar runs i would ay at least. so yes i think thats normal.Right now mine is in need of coil pack(s) i believe and from how it was before when normal, i always thought the same thing that "something was off" but i believe it was nothing. now that the coil packs are going...you can really tell something is off....