Aluminum Block V8s 4.1, 4.5, 4.6, and 4.9 liter engines.

98 sls still running little warm; block repair with nanotechnology in a bottle

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by majbarron
What is good compression on this motor.

you are basically testing head gasket integrity, so you want all cylinders testing pretty close ! Bad gasket will show in a few cylinders testing low.

the engine itself has another 300,000+ miles left ont it, IF and IF the head gasket is in good shape by way of proper maintenance of the cooling system.

Last edited by stomper; 12-09-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:43 AM

Thanks for info. Should I make modifications to prevent oil leak in future. Also any idea how heavy motor is when out of vehicle with no trans. Thanks

Old 12-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Default my .02 cents

From my experience this summer of pulling out the engine in my 98 DeVille and then going thru the head bolt insert routine and rebuild on the bottom end, had the heads checked and were still good, also I had to purchase a few tools required to work on this engine. A couple of things came to mind when you said a "local junkyard" will do the install, now I don't know how good the yards around your area are at repair, but around where I live I wouldn't let 90% of the yard workers install an air freshener much less an engine. Like I mentioned earlier I had done this and I would have to say this engine pull/ repair/ replace was the most complicated and tedious engine jobs I've ever done, and I have done hundreds through the years.
I take it you will be pulling the engine out thru the top because you had asked how much it weighs without the trans attached, well this is possible because I had went this route but PATIENCE will be required (man is it a tight fit). While the engine is out check the metal cooling lines that run along the firewall side, mine were heavily rusted and this is an easy replacement at this time. Just a few of my fond memories of this particular job.