Gforce chips

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 02:39 PM
Angry Gforce chips

I recently purchased a G-Force chip for my '04 cts 3.6. I received it in the mail Tuesday. I found the link thru a Caddy website, forget which one now, and decided to look into see if anyone on our Forum had purchaed one. To my dismay, I have found many sites that discredit this modification tool. Has any one heard of anyhing GOOD about this thing? I have not installed it yet and I am thinking that I should return it. They claim a h/p increase of up to 20 and gas mileage increase between 4 & 7 mpg. Thanks for any information.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:21 AM
Tech Certified Members

you have to be very carefull when buying these sorts of things. First off is the Brand which i usually use the rule of thumb if you have seen it advertised on tv shows such as on gearz, hot rod tv or something to that nature and they say they recommend that certain product then chances are its been used and reviewed as a reputable product. Most modern cars dont need a chip they can be programed by tuning software kits like diablo predator tuners, bullydog, etc. Jet chip has programers as well as chips for older model cars and they tend to have a bad reputation for their chips. Secondly if you cant find any good solid proof of their claims whether it be dyno charts or personal experience from other users than it may not be worth the money. Especially if you got the chip for under $100 and they claim it gives you this and that and just plugs in and your on your way. These kinds of chips (aka resistor mods) usually just plugs into a sensor (AIT) that tells the computer what the outside temp is so it can adjust for fuel. Example the sensor will tell the computer its 38*F outside and its really 75*F and therefore it enriches the A/F mix and then the o2 sensor sees this and backs the fuel off thus no real power gains.

Now the final answer you asked for is that is there any Good info about this chip?
Well upon further investigating they advertise that a chip is available for many vehicles. Even vehicles that have never even seen an ECU. To me this means they used a generic vehicle database listing and didn't even bother to take the time to remove the entries that are not valid. If they do not look at this simple detail do you think they really take the time to create a "tune" that is best for your car?

Where do you find an AIT Sensor on a 1973 Triumph Spitfire? Or a 68 BMW 2002? we can back further too. How about a 56 Hudson Hornet 4DR Sedan? That 1950's era Porsche 356, yeah, that has a need for this item. Every one of these examples are on their site.

So if that doesnt do justice enough heres more on how it works. All you do is connect two wires that plug into the AIT (Air Intake Temperature) sensor. From my years of experience to me this means they are adding a resistor of some type in line to fool the ECU into thinking the intake air is colder than actual. Is this really how you want gain more power, by tricking the ECU? Sounds like i just repeated myself earlier.

Assuming I am correct and this device is only a resistor it is horrendously overpriced. From what I can tell doing some searches you get this "chip" with two wires coming off the box, 2 quick connectors and 2 zip ties.

Other items that toss a red flag to me:
The domain is hidden when ownership is checked. Makes it harder to go after them. Do companies that have little to hide when it comes to contact info do the same thing, very rarely.

Do a search for reviews. Educate yourself, but I still contend that the $69 spent on this would be about as useful as buying hurricane insurance for your house in Manitoba. Im not trying to make it sound like you made a bad purchase but just making you aware of what is being sold out there this item is also sold on ebay under several different names and is installed the same too. If you want more power out of these newer cars you have to pay big bucks to do it. most likely more than $200+ is what most people will spend on bolt ons. But enough of me rambling just take this info how you want and do what you think is best for your cars health.