Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

Replacing 1992 Eldorado Rear Struts

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 11:25 PM
Default Replacing 1992 Eldorado Rear Struts

Hi,

1992 Eldorado, Base Model -125,000 + miles...

Drivers side rear wheel well area developed a creaking sound when I would get in and out of my car - depending on the slope of the ground where I parked. We discovered the rear drivers side strut is leaking, so it's time to replace both in the rear, and I'm hoping that's the only reason for the creaking sound.

I wasn't planning to replace the front ones yet - they were replaced with the electronic factory ones about 50k miles ago, and don't seem to be a problem. My research ruled out Arnott's since they don't have a solution for the 92. So I'm looking at these from Monroe:
Product Details Page

I need some help with several questions...

If I replace my existing rear air shocks with the Monroe 71801's, then it's my understanding the light will show up on the dash. According to the Cadillac Bulletin, they specify, "The wiring harness going to each strut and or shock assembly should be cut and taped back to clean-up the appearance both under the hood and under the vehicle. In addition, each specific vehicle will require a modification as outlined below: Then for the 92 it states, "Use the climate control Cooler button to decrease the value displayed for “IS08” by 8." (to IS00)???

However, I'm not planning on replacing the front struts yet, and the bulletin recommended only doing those changes to the electronics, after changing all 4. So, I guess then I have to have the annoying message always on the dash readout - since I'm not going to replace the front struts yet?

The other thing I'm confused about is regarding potential sagging in the rear under a greater load from passengers or due to weight in the trunk. Do the Sensa Trac shocks already address that? Sagging is one of the problems I've read as being a concern when eliminating Air Ride shocks and going with passive, so I'm concerned about that.

Thx.

Last edited by PalmTree; 10-21-2013 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Making a correction.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:04 AM

Go for it! A couple years ago, I replaced the rear struts on my 1989 Cadillac Sedan Deville (no longer own) with Monroe SensaTracs air shocks (kept the air ride). The ride was SIGNIFICANTLY improved! Also, Monroe suggests replacing shocks every 50,000 miles, so that's your choice. So what if there's a light? If the light bothers you, cover it with electrical tape. Not sure about rear sagging, you can ask Monroe about it.

TS

Old 05-09-2014, 11:13 AM
Default Eldorado Rear Shocks

Hello,

I replaced the rear air shocks on my 96 eldo a few months ago. Have you been able to fix your problem? My new rear air shocks work great and are hooked up to the existing air system. The 92 Eldo has a different system display for the shocks than my 96. In my case, the 96 is difficult to override to display and I still get the "Check suspension" message. I will need to take off the old part off the old shocks and wire it into the existing wiring to get ride of my message. These Cadillac Eldorado message systems changed a lot from year to year. One of these days I'll get around to it......maybe.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:23 PM
Smile Replaced Rear Struts

Originally Posted by Sierra Vista Eldorado
Hello,

I replaced the rear air shocks on my 96 eldo a few months ago. Have you been able to fix your problem? My new rear air shocks work great and are hooked up to the existing air system. The 92 Eldo has a different system display for the shocks than my 96. In my case, the 96 is difficult to override to display and I still get the "Check suspension" message. I will need to take off the old part off the old shocks and wire it into the existing wiring to get ride of my message. These Cadillac Eldorado message systems changed a lot from year to year. One of these days I'll get around to it......maybe.
Hi Sierra Vista,
Yes, I did have the rear struts replaced with the Monroe passive air struts, like yours mine was also hooked up to the air system. However, I never had an the 'check suspension' message come up, so I assume the mechanic did what they needed to so the message didn't come on. Now my front struts need to be replaced, so I'll be doing that soon, and I'll use the Monroe's.

The creaking sound went away after the struts were replaced. I noticed the car seems to sit a bit higher with the Monroe struts, and the ride is somewhat stiffer than the original stock struts. Still enjoy my car and I have less than 145,000 miles, so I'm hoping to get at least a few more years of enjoyment from my car.