Website Feedback and Suggestions If you have any suggestions for how to improve the forum, or have a question about the forum itself, this is your section. Any questions pertaining to cars should be posted in technical sections.

computer virus and worms - Phony ADMIN attempting to infect your computer

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Exclamation Phony ADMIN attempting to infect your computer

Member 11065 (aka "Admin&Moderator") is a phony Admin sending out private messages to users attempting to scam them into installing trojan/hijacking software. They are sending out messages which read:

Dear, (member name) A virus alert was noticed on your computer. We highly recommend you to check your computer and perform online virus check at our site immediately******** do not pass this test* we will have to delete your account and forward a complaint to your ISP with attached log file (your IP address, etc.).----------------------------------------------------Forum Administratio******
Although most members are undoubtedly sophisticated enough to realize that this is an attempt to infect their computers, many are not. If you get a message such as this DO NOT BE FOOLED. THIS PERSON--OR ANYONE ELSE SENDING SUCH MESSAGES--IS S*** AND NOT AN ADMIN. DO NOT RESPOND TO ANY SUCH MESSAGES, DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS OR ANY OTHER SOFTWARE TO WHICH THESE MESSAGES DIRECT YOU. IF YOU KNOW THIS PERSON DO US ALL A FAVOR AND DRIVE OVER THEM WITH YOUR CADILLAC AND DON'T SLOW DOWN TO LOOK BACK.

To the real admins here: Ban this m-f ASAP.

Last edited by Stealth; 02-14-2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Additional info for admins.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AlaskaHome1959
Member 11065 (aka "Admin&Moderator") is a phony Admin sending out private messages to users attempting to scam them into installing trojan/hijacking software. They are sending out messages which read:

Dear, (member name) A virus alert was noticed on your computer. We highly recommend you to check your computer and perform online virus check at our site immediately******** do not pass this test* we will have to delete your account and forward a complaint to your ISP with attached log file (your IP address, etc.).----------------------------------------------------Forum Administratio******
Although most members are undoubtedly sophisticated enough to realize that this is an attempt to infect their computers, many are not. If you get a message such as this DO NOT BE FOOLED. THIS PERSON--OR ANYONE ELSE SENDING SUCH MESSAGES--IS S*** AND NOT AN ADMIN. DO NOT RESPOND TO ANY SUCH MESSAGES, DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS OR ANY OTHER SOFTWARE TO WHICH THESE MESSAGES DIRECT YOU. IF YOU KNOW THIS PERSON DO US ALL A FAVOR AND DRIVE OVER THEM WITH YOUR CADILLAC AND DON'T SLOW DOWN TO LOOK BACK.

To the real admins here: Ban this m-f ASAP.
it has been done ..

thanks

Old 02-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Default Hmmm. Interesting edit

I didn't realize that innocuous put-downs get "bleeped" here in the forums. Just for the record, the "s***" was originally written as s.c.u.m., not anything less socially polite. Don't want anyone to get the wrong impression...

Old 02-14-2010, 08:36 PM

They are still sending out emails, I have received 2 in the past 2 days

Old 02-14-2010, 10:31 PM

I got a couple too, thanks for the heads up!

Old 02-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

I didn't realize that innocuous put-downs get "bleeped" here in the forums. Just for the record, the "s***" was originally written as s.c.u.m., not anything less socially polite. Don't want anyone to get the wrong impression...
no problem with s c u m at all .. but .. take away the "S" and we got a XXX problem. a few months ago, the site become targeted by overseas spammers

btw, the p o r n o filters do it w/o any input or anyone, any word whatsoever with the 3 letters, even ... a c u m m u lator.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:32 AM

i've got two of them.... Here's what I just got...

https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/members/teammoderators-11062/

TeamModerators
Banned

Warning! Next time we will have to complaint to your ISP.

Dear, mybrosride;DMan7;john clabo;105;gmanney!A virus alert was noticed on your computer. We highly recommend you to check your computer and perform online virus check at our site immediately.........you do not pass this test* we will have to delete your account and forward a complaint to your ISP.----------------------------------------------------Forum Administratio................

Warning! Next time we will have to complaint to your ISP.

Dear, Devil Dog........A virus alert was noticed on your computer. We highly recommend you to check your computer and perform online virus check at our site immediately...........ou do not pass this test* we will have to delete your account and forward a complaint to your ISP with attached log file (your IP address, etc.).----------------------------------------------------Forum Administratio.............

Last edited by Stealth; 02-15-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:40 AM

Got the same thing. AVG anti-virus report that the website they link to is a security threat. Their website is hosted by:

OrgName: Asia Pacific Network Information Centre
OrgID: APNIC
Address: PO Box 2131
City: Milton
StateProv: QLD
PostalCode: 4064

OrgTechEmail: search-apnic-not-arin@apnic.net

OrgTechPhone: +61 7 3858 3188

I've sent them an email regarding security-tool2010.org

However it might get more attention if additional users and or owners of this site contact them.

Regards,Boyce1

www.craigboyce.com/WTF

Old 02-15-2010, 08:31 AM
Default Computers are soooo smart

Originally Posted by Stealth
no problem with s c u m at all .. but .. take away the "S" and we got a XXX problem. a few months ago, the site become targeted by overseas spammers

btw, the p o r n o filters do it w/o any input or anyone, any word whatsoever with the 3 letters, even ... a c u m m u lator.
Well, I figured it was automated but it didn't occur to me that it was a p o r n o filter over doing it's job. Given the apparant diligence of the computer to scrub unacceptable words and phrases regardless of context, I can see that from time to time there may be some rather cryptic posts since we humans often miss "unacceptable words" that are buried inside of other, more acceptable words. Ah, well. Such is life when people are allowed to be people.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Tech Certified Members

Well, I figured it was automated but it didn't occur to me that it was a p o r n o filter over doing it's job. Given the apparant diligence of the computer to scrub unacceptable words and phrases regardless of context, I can see that from time to time there may be some rather cryptic posts since we humans often miss "unacceptable words" that are buried inside of other, more acceptable words. Ah, well. Such is life when people are allowed to be people.

i also had to relearn to type .. with spaces between letters.

my favorite, with brakes and AC units that pop up quite often here .. ac***ulator ==> a c c u m u l a t o r

i can live with it

Quick Reply: computer virus and worms - Phony ADMIN attempting to infect your computer