Tires: Speed Rating: 97 Seville

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 02:09 PM
Default Tires: Speed Rating: 97 Seville

I e-mailed Cadillac to ask what the minimum speed rating specification was for tires for a '97 Seville SLS. Believe it or not, they e-mailed back and said they did not know! Tire size is 225/60/16.

Does anybody know, or have any experience with this? I went to a tire store and picked out a nice tire with a T speed rating. The dealer said he recommended at least an H, or maybe a V, for this car. Of course, the H and V are more expensive, since they are higher speed ratings. I'm holding off buying tires until I can figure this one out.

Supposedly, the benefit of a higher speed rating, even if you're not going to drive fast, is better handling. This would be a benefit in a performance sedan like the SLS. I'd rather not waste the higher price if there's not going to be a benefit, but if I can't figure this out I suppose I'll pay the extra price and see what happens.

Any thoughts, anybody? Thanks!

Old 04-30-2005, 03:54 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Tires: Speed Rating: 97 Seville

i would go with a bit higher, while not going outrageous with the price..what i would do...call around to a few big tires stores..like firestone and goodyear...tell them what you have, and ask them what they would recommend...when they tell you a tire...ask what it is rated...then tell them that you will get back to them...something else to think about, tires are weight rated...on my car, i have Z rated tires...but if i put those same tires on a 6000lb hummer...they woudlnt be safe at 175mph...

but i would definately check around and see when rating some places recommend...if they all say the same relative speed rating, i would look into that. i would also check places like the tire rack, online

Old 11-18-2006, 03:52 AM

Do not base speed rating decision solely by how fast you plan to drive. It doesn't work that way. Simply do not go below your stock speed rating. The vehicle manufacturer does a lot of research to determine what speed rating a vehicle requires. In some states there are laws forcing tire dealers to only sell tires which meet the vehicle's minimum speed rating. The speed rating affects handling at all speeds. Using a lower speed rating is unsafe.

Here's some good tire technical info: http://www.1010tires.com/tech.asp

I just double checked the speed rating for your vehicle. The stock speed rating is only S. So technically a T speed rating would be fine. Personally I'd spend a bit more for at least an H speed rating, but that is to accomodate my driving style.

Old 12-16-2006, 08:37 PM

You can go as fast as you want on any tire.The ability of the tire to turn, stop, not overheat the tire is directly relative to the tire manufacurers rating. If you want to go 125 mph or moreyou are no longer driving, you are now flying an airplane that does'nt have wings. A guy that drives a caddy and wants to go fast should be able to invest $100+ dollars in each corner for rubber.