Tires - rotation and speed rating

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator
Default Tires - rotation and speed rating

Rotation

How often should I rotate my tires?

Regular and proper tire rotation promotes uniform wear. All-season tires should be rotated in a "modified X" pattern, meaning only the tires being moved to the drive axle are crossed to the opposite side of the vehicle. The remaining two tires are moved from the drive axle to the free rolling axle, remaining on the same side of the vehicle. This method of rotation helps promote even and uniform treadwear pattern for all four tires.

The only exception to this would be the use of "directional" tires. These tires should remain on the same side of the vehicle and be rotated straight forward and straight back. If you have a four-wheel drive vehicle, we recommend crossing both pairs of tires to their new axle positions.

We recommend tire rotation at least every 6,000 miles. It is a good idea to rotate four-wheel drive vehicles every 4,000 miles. Check your vehicle owner's manual for the manufacturer's rotation recommendations. The first rotation is the most important. When tires are rotated, inflation pressures must be adjusted to the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations.

"Just Tires"

Old 04-07-2007, 03:20 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Tires - rotation and speed rating

two experts in disagreement?

Many tires are available in speed-rated versions to match the speed capabilities of the world’s fastest cars. Generally, it is recommended that a speed-rated tire be replaced with a tire having an equivalent or greater speed rating.

However, if you never drive at speeds near the limits of your speed rated tires, you may choose to replace them with tires having a lesser top speed rating. In situations where tires having different top speed ratings are mixed on a vehicle, the maximum speed certification is limited to the top speed certification of the tire with the lowest speed rating.
Speed ratings do not indicate how well a tire handles or corners. They certify the tire’s ability to withstand high speed.

*Just Tires"

[align=center][/align]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

[align=left]The speed rating of any tire is a measurement of the top safe speed the tire can carry a load under specified conditions. It is also an indication of how the tire will handle at lower speeds. A higher rated tire will give you better traction and improved steering response even at 50mph.[/align]
it is not recommended to downgrade your tires to a lower speed rating than of the OEM tires that came with your vehicle at the time of purchase. Doing so can effect the handling of the car, and in an emergency situation that can be dangerous. Also, never mix tires with different speed ratings on your vehicle.

"1010 Tires"

Speed Rating

In Europe, where selected highways do not have speed limits and high speed driving is permitted, speed ratings were established to match the speed capability of tires with the top speed capability of the vehicles to which they are applied. Speed ratings are established in kilometers per hour and subsequently converted to miles per hour (which explains why speed ratings appear established at "unusual" mile per hour increments). Despite the tire manufacturer's ability to manufacturer tires capable of high speeds, none of them recommend the use of their products in excess of legal speed limits.

Speed ratings are based on laboratory tests where the tire is pressed against a large diameter metal drum to reflect its appropriate load, and run at ever increasing speeds (in 6.2 mph steps in 10 minute increments) until the tire's required speed has been met.

It is important to note that speed ratings only apply to tires that have not been damaged, altered, under-inflated or overloaded. Additionally, most tire manufacturers maintain that a tire that has been cut or punctured no longer retains the tire manufacturer's original speed rating, even after being repaired because the tire manufacturer can't control the quality of the repair.

"The tire rack"

Old 04-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

IMHO, in the USA if you buy anything rated higher then an H rated tire, its for looks only. Not only will the Z cost a lot more, you will get half the mileage.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:35 PM
Tech Certified Members

G.A.R.Y. ......Stealth.......What make tire do you guys run??? just wondering......................

Old 08-31-2007, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator
Default GM Cadillac - Tires - rotation and speed rating -

i avoid Firestone & Sears like the plague .. prior history and reputation.
rethreads? dont even look at me with that ..

i prefer Michelins and Goodyear for the cars, BFG KO's (all terrains) on the trucks.
heck, i even got michelins on the Motobecanes ..

there are other good tires out there, but i cant go through all of them on my cars.
and if i damage one, i like to be able to find a exact replacement within the hour.

i dont like or use the spares .. i carry, but dont use them.
i actually had a car flat bedded home at 3 am rather than mount the spare.
maybe on an emergency i would .. maybe.

i carry a full size all-terrain spare on the 4x4, so not really a spare, i would use that.

i also carry a "plug kit" ... i know .. tsk .. tsk .. tsk ... and a pump on each car ..
i go from flat to back-on-the-road in about 10 minutes and i can always get a new tire tomorrow..

Old 11-26-2007, 07:27 AM

ORIGINAL: G.A.R.Y.

IMHO, in the USA if you buy anything rated higher then an H rated tire, its for looks only. Not only will the Z cost a lot more, you will get half the mileage.
Not true, I wish it was. I have V rated tires on my car and I learned the hard way that its important to put the proper rated tire on a car. The tires that were rated lower went out of round and shook the car at speeds above 60 mph.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Alrukin

Not true, I wish it was. I have V rated tires on my car and I learned the hard way that its important to put the proper rated tire on a car. The tires that were rated lower went out of round and shook the car at speeds above 60 mph.
That makes no sense.

I be looking at other things like installation, quality of tire, balancing, wheel alignment, overspeed, etc.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Alrukin

The speed rating of the tire will have nothing to do with whether or not the tires are out of round. If the car shook over 60mph that has nothing to do with the tire rating either, An h rated tire is good for speeds much higher then 60mph. You are just spending more money for tires then necessary. I do the same thing for my vette (z) for 2 reasons, looks and the speed rating. I would find another mechanic to align front and rear and try to re-balance tires. If tires are truely out of round that should be covered under warranty. For a better understanding of speed ratings check out this chart..............Read the SPEED RATING paragraph.

Tire Safety

G.A.R.Y.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:35 PM

i will have to agree with gary on this one.....find another mechanic to align front and rear and try to re-balance the tires

Old 11-28-2007, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

You must admit, that has got to be one good sales guy, the kind that can sell a fridge to an eskimo.

Quick Reply: Tires - rotation and speed rating