Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Time-sert kit for sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Default Time-sert kit for sale

I recently repaired a 97 Deville 4.6 with Time-sert's Big-sert head bolt kit #J-42385-500BS and would now like to sell the kit. This kit also works onpost-2000 blocks with the 2 different depth head bolt holes.This is the best kit fora first repair because the inserts are larger in diameterfor more anchoring surface area. It will alsorepair blocks that have failed after a previous heli-coil or time-sert repair.

The kit is complete as it came from Time-sert with insert-driver oil, loctite. instructions, and case.The inserts can be purchased seperately and are veryinexpensive.

Paid $760. asking $400

Old 05-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Time-sert kit for sale

ORIGINAL: Darren

I recently repaired a 97 Deville 4.6 with Time-sert's Big-sert head bolt kit #J-42385-500BS and would now like to sell the kit. This kit also works onpost-2000 blocks with the 2 different depth head bolt holes.This is the best kit fora first repair because the inserts are larger in diameterfor more anchoring surface area. It will alsorepair blocks that have failed after a previous heli-coil or time-sert repair.

The kit is complete as it came from Time-sert with insert-driver oil, loctite. instructions, and case.The inserts can be purchased seperately and are veryinexpensive.

Paid $760. asking $400

not a bad deal for someone in need.

if i may ask .. how many hours did it take you to do the headgasket job?

Old 05-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Default RE: Time-sert kit for sale

It was about 35 -40 hours total but included lots of wasted time. It was on a customer's car and he wouldn't commit to the Time-sert kit at the start of the job as I suggested. We first tried reassembly with original threads (held about 10 ft-lbs), then he insisted on Heli-coils which involved drilling holes freehand and stacking 2 inserts in each hole. I did this on only 2 holes and then tested them with a spacer installed to simulate the head being on- also failed immediately, then finally ordered the kit which worked great. The 2 Heli-coiled holes were the reason for the Big-sert kit as the standard kit would no longer work on these 2.

Bottom line - Time-sert is the only way to go when doing this job unless you want to do it twice or buy a short block!