Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

losing job - unemployment

Old 04-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default losing job - unemployment

lets see, who was running the U.S. Congress when?

The U.S. Dept of Labor statistics link is at the bottom of this posting.

U.S. Dept of LABOR

Dont know who your Congress person is?
http://www.house.gov/house/MemStateSearch.shtml

Want to know the record of YOUR Congressperson?
http://thomas.loc.gov/home/r110query.html

or what they do?
http://thomas.loc.gov/home/lawsmade.toc.html

or who funded their campaigns?
http://www.opensecrets.org/?gclid=CI...FQkXiQodvw134g

or simply what it is that they do?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Congress

lastly, when each Congress started ...
101st-110th Congresses: 1989-2009 [ul][*]101st United States Congress: 1989–1991[*]102nd United States Congress: 1991–1993[*]103rd United States Congress: 1993–1995[*]104th United States Congress: 1995–1997[*]105th United States Congress: 1997–1999[*]106th United States Congress: 1999–2001[*]107th United States Congress: 2001–2003[*]108th United States Congress: 2003–2005[*]109th United States Congress: 2005–2007[*]110th United States Congress: 2007–2009 (current)[/ul]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3799/C061E05D9216413E9711A7EC2732B8D8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3799/2086034A56DD4C29A109F0393D4738FE.gif[/IMG]

Old 04-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: losing job - unemployment

For the local State statistics, go to the middle of the page,
right side on this link:

http://www.bls.gov/LAU/

Old 04-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Tech Certified Members

Among the enumerated powers given Congress in Article I Section 8, are:

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States; Also ..
[ul][*]To borrow money on the credit of the United States;[*]To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes;[*]To coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standard of weights and measures;[*] [/ul]
Privileges Under the Constitution, members of both houses enjoy the privilege of being free from arrest in all cases, except for treason, felony, and breach of the peace. This immunity applies to members during sessions and when traveling to and from sessions.

The term "arrest" has been interpreted broadly, and includes any detention or delay in the course of law enforcement, including court summons and subpoenas. The rules of the House strictly guard this privilege; a member may not waive the privilege on his or her own, but must seek the permission of the whole house to do so. Senate rules, on the other hand, are less strict, and permit individual senators to waive the privilege as they see fit.

The Constitution also guarantees absolute freedom of debate in both houses, providing, "for any Speech or Debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other Place." Hence, a member of Congress may not be sued for slander because of remarks made in either house. However, each house has its own rules restricting offensive speeches, and may punish members who transgress them.

Obstructing the work of Congress is a crime under federal law, and is known as contempt of Congress.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:51 PM

'03 & '04 was also a lot of unemployment. and if you look at '02 after 9/11 it was the worst, like I said, Bush said that this year the economy will be "stronger than ever" I want to see what really happens.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Tech Certified Members

THE 545 PEOPLE RESPONSIBLE FOR AMERICA 'S WOES[/align]
[/align] BY CHARLEY REESE[/align]

[/align] Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them.[/align]

[/align] Have you ever wondered why, if both the Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, we have deficits? Have you ever wondered why, if all the politicians are against inflation and high taxes, we have inflation and high taxes?[/align]
[/align]
You and I don't propose a federal budget. The president does. You and I don't have the Constitutional authority to vote on appropriations. The House of Representatives does. You and I don't write the tax code. Congress does. You and I don't set fiscal policy. Congress does. You and I don't control monetary policy. The Federal Reserve Bank does.[/align]

[/align] One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one president and nine Supreme Court justices - 545 human beings out of the 300 million - are directly, legally, morally and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country.[/align]

[/align] I excluded the members of the Federal Reserve Board because that problem was created by the Congress. In 1913, Congress delegated its Constitutional duty to provide a sound currency to a federally chartered but private central bank.[/align]

[/align] I excluded all the special interests and lobbyists for a sound reason They have no legal authority. They have no ability to coerce a senator, a congressman or a president to do one cotton- picking thing. I don't care if they offer a politician $1 million dollars in cash.The politician has the power to accept or reject it.[/align]

[/align] No matter what the lobbyist promises, it is the legislator's responsibility to determine how he votes.[/align]

[/align]
[/align] A CONFIDENCE CONSPIRACY Those 545 human beings spend much of their energy convincing you thatwhat they did, is not their fault. They cooperate in this common con regardless of party.[/align] [/align]

What separates a politician from a normal human being is an excessive amount of gall. No normal human being would have the gall of a SPEAKER, who stood up and criticized G.W. BUSH for creating deficits.[/align]

[/align] The president can only propose a budget. He cannot force the Congress to accept it. The Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land, gives sole responsibility to the House of Representatives for originating and approving appropriations and taxes.[/align]

[/align] Who is the speaker of the House?She is the leader of the majority party. She and fellow Democrats, not the president, can approve any budget they want. If the president vetoes it, they can pass it over his veto.[/align]

[/align] REPLACE THE SCOUNDRELS!!!![/align]

[/align] It seems inconceivable to me that a nation of 300 million cannot replace545 people who stand convicted -- by present facts - of incompetence and irresponsibility.[/align] [/align]

I can't think of a single domestic problem, from an unfair tax code to defense overruns, that is not traceable directly to those 545 people[/align]

[/align] When you fully grasp the plain truth that 545 people exercise power of the federal government, then it must follow thatwhat exists is what they want to exist.[/align]

[/align] If the tax code is unfair, it's because they want it unfair. If the budget is in the red, it's because they want it in the red. If the Marines are in IRAQ , it's because they want them in IRAQ .[/align] [/align]

There are no insoluble government problems. Do not let these 545 people shift the blame to bureaucrats, whom they hire and whose jobs they can abolish; to lobbyists, whose gifts and advice they can reject; to regulators, to whom they give the power to regulate and from whom they can take this power.[/align]

[/align] Above all, do not let them con you into the belief that there exist disembodied mystical forces like "the economy," "inflation" or "politics" that prevent them from doing what they take an oath to do.[/align] [/align]

Those 545 people, and they alone, are responsible. They, and they alone, have the power. They, and they alone, should be held accountable by the people who are their bosses - provided the voters have the gumption to manage their own employees.[/align]

[/align] We should vote all of them out of office and clean up their mess.[/align] [/align]

Old 04-05-2008, 07:52 PM

Here, here!

Old 09-12-2008, 10:05 AM
Tech Certified Members

Congressional election 2006 took place about 16 MONTHS ago:

1) Consumer confidence stood at a 2 1/2 year high;
2) Regular gasoline sold for $2.19 a gallon;
3) The unemployment rate was 4.5%.

Since voting in a Democratic Congress in 2006 we now have:

1) Consumer confidence plummet to the lowest point in over 75 years;
2) The cost of regular gasoline soar to over $4.00 a gallon;
3) Unemployment is up to 5% (a 10% increase);
4) American households have seen $2.3 trillion in equity value evaporate (stock and mutual fund losses);
5) Americans have seen their home equity drop by $1.2 trillion dollars;
6) 1% of American homes are in foreclosure.

America voted for change in 2006.

Remember it is Congress that makes laws;
the President has to work with what is handed to him.

My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you will join with me as we try to
change it
~ Senator Barack Obama, Presidential candidate

Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them.
~ Charlie Reese

We should vote all of them out of office and clean up their mess.
~ Charlie Reese

Old 09-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Tech Certified Members

Also take a look at the thread on Immigration or lack of !

https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_25405/tm.htm

================================================== ====

$200 Billion Dollars a year in suppressed American wages are caused by the illegal aliens. UNEMPLOYMENT for Americans?
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...01/ldt.01.html

Did you get the American JOBS connection?

Not included is the outsourcing of what once were American Jobs to overseas low wage countries and NAFTA