Need Help! Losing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Default Need Help! Losing coolant

i own a 98 Seville SLS with 118,000 miles on it, i just purchased this car and it seems to run great, put new plugs and wires new front hubs, brakes, rack and pinion, egr valve, and fuel filter on since owning it for 1 month!! so i have quite a bit into it so far about 2500 in new parts, anyways my new problem is im losing a small amount of coolant about 2 inches every 3-4 days, i didnt have this problem prior to using Seafoam in through my brake booster, i also cleaned the throttle body with seafoam and toothbrush, i have no white residue in oil and like i said it runs awesome, im wondering anyone has had a problem with intake gaskets going bad after seafoam? and if that carbon might have been holding my gaskets together in the first place, i also was underneath the car and could hear sizzle in catylact convertor so i hit it lightly and sounded like alot of moisture in it, i am getting white smoke now out thee exhaust, could that be caused by coolant getting through intake gaskets? are the seafoam and coolant loss connected and if so would flush and GM P/N 3634621Tabs fix the problem?? i could really use some input!!!!

Help my EviLLeSeViLLe!!!!!!!!!!!![:@]

Old 04-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Need Help! Losing coolant

ORIGINAL: EViLLSeViLLe98

i own a 98 Seville SLS with 118,000 miles on it, i just purchased this car and it seems to run great, put new plugs and wires new front hubs, brakes, rack and pinion, egr valve, and fuel filter on since owning it for 1 month!! so i have quite a bit into it so far about 2500 in new parts, anyways my new problem is im losing a small amount of coolant about 2 inches every 3-4 days, i didnt have this problem prior to using Seafoam in through my brake booster, i also cleaned the throttle body with seafoam and toothbrush, i have no white residue in oil and like i said it runs awesome, im wondering anyone has had a problem with intake gaskets going bad after seafoam? and if that carbon might have been holding my gaskets together in the first place, i also was underneath the car and could hear sizzle in catylact convertor so i hit it lightly and sounded like alot of moisture in it, i am getting white smoke now out thee exhaust, could that be caused by coolant getting through intake gaskets? are the seafoam and coolant loss connected and if so would flush and GM P/N 3634621Tabs fix the problem?? i could really use some input!!!!

Help my EviLLeSeViLLe!!!!!!!!!!!![:@]

never heard anyone having a seafoam problem like that.
but if you had enough carbon to block a crack or a bad gasket with carbon .. kind of unique I think.

your symptoms are of a failed gasket, do the tests is my advice.
but I can assure you, seafoam could not possibly ruin a gasket, much less a head gasket.

the tabs wont fix any internal leaks.

may I assume this is not a April Fool's thing?

Old 08-20-2008, 11:35 AM

drain your oil to see if thats where your coolant is going. if so id say you got a blown head gasket.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:14 AM

Either your intake gasket is goneor you have a blown head gasket. Stop running the motor now otherwise it will sping a bearing. Have it repaired of junk it.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

there are easy ways to test it.
take a L@@K in our FAQ section

Old 09-11-2008, 01:02 PM

also is the coolant got to the catylatic converter then its probley clogged up. after finded your coolant loss id do a back pressure test on your exhaust to check the converter.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Tech Certified Members

did he fall asleep on the couch waiting for an answer?