Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

breweries - best of the best ?

Old 07-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default breweries - best of the best ?

by epinions

things to know about Mexican beers: almost all beer in Mexico is produced by two big breweries:
basically, Corona and Dos Equis.

The Big Two Breweries
Grupo Modelo (CM) is the biggest brewing company in Mexico and is based in Mexico City.
Cerveceria Cuahtemoc Moctezuma (CCM) is the older of the two companies and is based in Monterrey.

Beers
three beers sold by Mexico's two big brewers that stand out as being substantially better than any beer made by any major U.S. or Canadian brewer...

Best of the Best
- Negra Modelo (GM): chocolatey smooth dark lager beer similar in style to a Munich dunkles
- Nochebuena (winter seasonal) (CCM): copper colored vienna style lager with a firm nutty malt flavor and a rich, robust body
- Bohemia (CCM): hoppy pilsner style lager with a strong noble hop signature and a somewhat dry flavor

Ordinary Pale Lagers
By the way, all of these beers are lagers.

- Carta Blanca (CCM)
- Corona (GM)
- Dos Equis (clara) (CCM)
- Modelo Especial (GM)
- Pacifico (GM)
- Sol (CCM)
- Superior (CCM)
- Tecate (CCM)

Ordinary Amber Lagers based loosely on the marzen (vienna) style.

- Dos Equis (oscura) (CCM)
- Indio (CCM)
- Victoria (GM)
- Estrella (generally available around Guadalajara) (GM): ordinary light lager, a little lighter than average
- Leon Negra (generally available only in Yucatan) (GM): ordinary amber lager, a little darker than average

Old 07-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: breweries - best of the best ?

the best beers? jump here: BEER GODS or here: BEER GODS II

Old 07-05-2007, 12:28 PM

Beer, like wines are related to the individuals palate and this changes with location I have found. For instance, an icy glass of Amstel consumed at the beach bar in Aruba in 90 degree heat while waiting for the sunset and "the green flash," is the most delicious drink in the world. I take that back. The mug of lager you wait for in a bar in "oldtown" Frankfurt for ten minutes as the bartender continually "sticks" off the foam so she can get more beer into the glass. I take that back, That glass of Carta Blanca drunk in the gardens beneath the waterfall at the brewery in Montery, NO, I take that back, That Coors along with the hotdog at Fenway park has got to be the best in the world.
No, I take that back, that "BUD" taken out of the cooler filled with ice, on the boat returning from a day of fishing.
NAH, you see, experts be damned. It's what you like at the moment.
I like the packaging of Corona in the clear enameled bottle and when the lime and advertising was added the price of a bottle doubled. It is thirst quenching beer which you will quit drinking if you see the brewery in downtown Mexico city. The buildings are walled with rusty corragated metal and when asked when they were going to modernize the answered was "they were afraid the "bubble" will burst and the desire for their beer curtailed.
I spent three years complaining about English beer in the Pub of the hotel I frequented outside of London. One night the bartender met me with a big smile and indicated a draft handle with "Budweiser" imprinted on it. Finally a good beer and it came in bottles also. (Brewed in England.)
So, you see, Beer is Beer. The nectar of the gods, and may god bless them all.
By the way. Miller has just hit the market with a tasty brew to compete with Corona and the lime. It's packaged in a dark green bottle and is brewed with lime and salt added. Called "Chilada" and I like it.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Negra modelo great beer a little less then cold.

The beers in Amsterdam and Stockholm were okay at best.

Elephant beer is really good, I can't get it anymore, it comes in dark and red, I like the dark lots.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:41 AM
Super Moderator

Christmas is coming up fast, take look for gift ideas. CLICK World's Most Expensive Whiskies

Old 05-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Tech Certified Members

back to beer ...

[IMG]local://upfiles/3799/0565C5669E02471FBC3D7CC20DB3A4F1.jpg[/IMG]
What a grand marketing idea for this beaujolais wine. “pisse-dru” means “**** a lot.”

[IMG]local://upfiles/3799/0C2CD5A1EF9F4B74983C9EDBE27C775B.jpg[/IMG]
somehow, this seems related ..