Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

baseball - 2007

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Default RE: baseball

Sorry Gary. I honestly thought they would make it to the "all star" game before the bubble burst.
Speaking of which, "The red Sox" are sending six players to the game." (Shades of previous years New York Yankees.)

Old 07-23-2007, 06:19 PM

Been watchin baseball a while and have never seen anything like this , ever.

What a shame.

Tragedy Strikes on Baseball Field
Posted: 2007-07-23 14:38:10
A Colorado Rockies minor league coach died after being struck in the head by a line drive as he stood in the first-base coach's box during a game in North Little Rock, Ark.

Doug Murray, AP
Minor league coach Mike Coolbaugh, seen here in his playing days, dies after being struck in the head by a line drive as he stood in the first-base coach's box.Tulsa batting coach Mike Coolbaugh was knocked unconscious by Tino Sanchez's line drive during the ninth inning of Sunday night's game against the Double-A Arkansas Travelers, according to a statement on the Drillers' Web site. The former major leaguer was taken to Baptist Medical Center-North Little Rock, where he was pronounced dead.
The Drillers said Monday night's game against the Wichita Wranglers in Kansas has been postponed, and baseball teams and executives expressed sadness over the former major leaguer's death.
"This was a tragic event that took a great teammate and a wonderful human being from us far too soon," Houston Astros general manager Tim Purpura said.
North Little Rock police Sgt. Terry Kuykendall said Coolbaugh was alive when he was put in an ambulance but stopped breathing as the ambulance arrived at Baptist Medical Center-North Little Rock. The 35-year-old was pronounced dead at the hospital at 9:47 p.m. local time.
Travelers spokesman Phil Elson said Coolbaugh was hit on either the right side of his head or the forehead and immediately collapsed.
Coolbaugh is survived by his wife, Mandy, and two young sons, Joseph and Jacob, all of San Antonio. Mandy Coolbaugh is expecting another child in October.
"Our entire organization grieves at the death of Mike Coolbaugh," Rockies president Keli McGregor said. "We were shocked and deeply saddened to learn of the accident on Sunday evening. Mike was a great husband, father, brother and friend to so many throughout the baseball community. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family, wife Mandy and sons Joseph and Jacob, and to all of those whose lives were touched by Mike over his career and his life."
Coolbaugh played 44 games in the major leagues for the St. Louis Cardinals and Milwaukee Brewers in the 2001 and 2002 seasons. He spent a decade in the minor leagues with affiliates of the Astros, Texas Rangers and other teams.
"Mike was a kind and hard-working individual who lived life and played the game with great passion," said Reid Nichols, Brewers special assistant to the general manager and director of player development. "He will be greatly missed."
The St. Louis Cardinals, who were off Monday, planned a moment of silence before Tuesday's home game against the Chicago Cubs honoring both Coolbaugh and former St. Louis Browns pitcher Rollie Stiles, who died Sunday at age 100.
"We express our condolences to his family and friends," Cardinals spokesman Brian Bartow said of Coolbaugh. "He and his brother Scott were members of our Cardinals family and he'll certainly be missed."
Scott Coolbaugh played 167 major league games over four seasons with Texas, San Diego and St. Louis in the early 1990s.
Minor League Baseball president Mike Moore asked all minor league clubs to fly their flags at half-staff and observe a moment of silence before Monday night's games.
"The hearts and prayers of the minor league baseball world go out to his entire family," he said.
Coolbaugh joined the Tulsa staff on July 3 as a batting coach. He played for the team briefly in 1996.
Drillers first basemen Aaron Rifkin said recently that Coolbaugh's coaching style had already helped the team.
"He came in and didn't try to change guys, just fine-tune what they were doing. He's been great for me," Rifkin told the Tulsa World.
A native of Binghamton, N.Y., Coolbaugh went to high school in San Antonio and was drafted in 1990 by the Toronto Blue Jays in the 16th round.
He played third base and bounced around the minors for a decade, reaching the major leagues in 2001 with the Brewers. He played 39 big league games that season and five for the Cardinals in 2002. He hit two home runs in 70 major league at-bats.
The Travelers, an Angels affiliate, led 7-3 when the game was suspended with no outs and a runner on first in the top of the ninth inning. Officials said no date had been set to finish the game.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

I will be one of the many NOT celebrating.
[ul][/ul]

Bonds' Ex-Mistress to Tell All to Playboy
By PAUL ELIAS,Posted: 2007-07-25 10:19:51Filed Under: MLB
SAN FRANCISCO (July 23) - Barry Bonds' former mistress, at the center of the government's perjury investigation of the slugger, said Monday she will discuss the couple's relationship in the November issue of Playboy magazine.

Photo Gallery: Controversy Follows Bonds

Frederic Larson, San Francisco Chronicle / AP
Kimberly Bell, Barry Bonds' former mistress and figure in the government's perjury investigation of the slugger, will discuss the couple's relationship in the November issue of Playboy magazine. The article will be accompanied by a nude pictorial.
The Playboy article, accompanied by a nude pictorial of Kimberly Bell, is scheduled to hit newsstands Oct. 1. The 37-year-old Bell said the article will cover details of her relationship with Bonds that she told a grand jury investigating the perjury allegations in 2005.

"The opportunity was there, and I took it," she told The Associated Press in a phone interview Monday. The photo shoot "was one of the most liberating experiences of my life."

Bell testified before the grand jury that Bonds once told her of his steroid use in 2000 and that he implied he started taking the performance enhancing drugs in response to Mark McGwire's pursuit of the single season home run record in 1998.

"He was very envious of Mark McGwire," she said from her San Jose home. "He never said that was the reason, but I know it was."
Bell testified about that conversation as well her relationship with Bonds, which lasted from 1993 to 2003. She also said Bonds gave her $80,000 in cash to buy a house, the proceeds of which allegedly came from a paid autograph session that authorities also are investigating as going unreported to the Internal Revenue Service.

Bonds' lawyer, Michael Rains, could not be reached for comment late Monday.

The term of the grand jury investigating Bonds' steroids testimony appears to have been extended because the San Francisco Giants left fielder's personal trainer remains jailed. Greg Anderson was to be released last Thursday, the end of the grand jury's term, unless the term was extended.

The U.S Attorney's office has declined to discuss the grand jury proceedings. But one of Anderson's lawyers, Paula Canny, believes the term was extended.

"Greg's still not out," she said.

Bell said she has not been called before the grand jury again, but declined to say if she has spoken with federal investigators since.

Bell's appearance in the magazine can't help the government's case against her former lover.

Defense lawyers are widely expected to argue that Bell was a woman scorned because of Bonds' decision to marry another woman during their relationship. Her appearance on Playboy may only add fuel to the defense's case.

Bell said the photo shoot boosted her confidence. She declined to say how much Playboy was paying her.

"If I had more self-esteem when I was younger," she said, "I wouldn't have been caught up with such a rotten man."

Old 07-28-2007, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Sad to say, there is the distinct possibity the Barry "needle in the ***" Bonds will break a record against my Marlins. So sad that my team may be a part of this sad occassion..

Old 07-29-2007, 03:23 PM

Don't believe any team would be critisized for an intentional walk every time at bat from here on out until the govt. makes up it's mind.
What managers "have the guts.?"

Old 07-29-2007, 05:08 PM

just my opinion, but baseball has lost it's appeal to me. It used to be hard work and talent now it's drugs and talent. It's all cheating to me, and none of this should be recognized by anyone. It should not even appear as a record with an asterisk, it justshouldn't count. Feel bad for the Babe and Hank. Those guys along with the Mantles and Marris even theReggie Jacksonsetc. were heroes. Carrot *** and needle in the *** should be banished. Sorry for the rant but the game is NOT the game to me anymore. At least Canseco came clean.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:44 AM
Location: Canfield, Ohio (halfway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh)

Pardon me! At least Canseco came clean! Do ya think he got religion, found Jesus etc. What a slimeball! Don't get me wrong, I agree that flaxseed oil and arthritus cream etc have take the glow off of some aspects of baseball. But a kiss and tell for a way to maintain the lifestyles of the rich and famous is really the lowest. Wait 'til we get the newest installment. Who buys these books?

Old 07-30-2007, 08:18 AM

wcoates

Didn't come out like I wanted it to. The guy is a slime ball and I would never donate to buy his book. I meant came clean as opposed to Mark Mcquire and Bonds.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:43 AM
Tech Certified Members

comments about Paris Hilton removed by request of Moderator Fox

Old 08-14-2007, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Anyone here happy for Barry?

Quick Reply: baseball - 2007