Member Introduction New to the forum? Stop in and introduce yourself! If you have a tech question, check out the General Technical Section

newbie with a question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Default newbie with a question

Hello All,
I have a chance to lay my hands on a 1954 coupe deville that is a cosmetic fixer rebuilt motor/tranny.....all original for a small $$$ amount. Probaby need about $6-10k to get it to a 8 out of 10 with no adulterations. A couple of thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Is this a good year that collectors appreciate presently and in the future?
Any websites that rate cars on their collectibility based on yr,make and model.
I know this is subjective but havent most classic cars in favor stay in favor?
Thanks for your thoughts. This is a hobby but if you are going to throw money at a car it would be nice to be able to get something back in the future or better.......or is that too pragmatic?

Old 01-05-2011, 01:02 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by builtbyrag@yahoo.com
Hello All,
I have a chance to lay my hands on a 1954 coupe deville that is a cosmetic fixer rebuilt motor/tranny.....all original for a small $$$ amount. Probaby need about $6-10k to get it to a 8 out of 10 with no adulterations. A couple of thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Is this a good year that collectors appreciate presently and in the future?
Any websites that rate cars on their collectibility based on yr,make and model.
I know this is subjective but havent most classic cars in favor stay in favor?
Thanks for your thoughts. This is a hobby but if you are going to throw money at a car it would be nice to be able to get something back in the future or better.......or is that too pragmatic?
classic cars (50's to 70's) collector are a funny bunch .. if you get the car to a 9.5 or better, you can probably get top dollar, anything less, you be lucky to recoup your expenses. at least, that's what i have seen.

be sure to do your homework, cuz a 9.5 plus will usually get stripped to the frame, remove all paint, rust, etc, and then put it all together in mint condition.