Member Introduction New to the forum? Stop in and introduce yourself! If you have a tech question, check out the General Technical Section

new member - 1996 De Ville - Tulsa

Old 06-21-2010, 12:02 AM
Default new member - 1996 De Ville - Tulsa

I'm new to the group. I recently purchased a 1996 De Ville with 153k miles. This is my first Cadillac. I am 36 years old and have always enjoyed cars in general and experiencing different makes models. I did some cob web cleaning in my memory to figure out that this is my 17th car in roughly 20 years of driving. I'm sure thats not any kind of record compared to some of you guys (I should clarify that that does not include motorcycles).

I live in Tulsa, OK and I also own a 2006 GMC Sierra truck, 2006 Kawasaki KLX250s dual sport bike, and a 1978 Honda trail 90. I bought the De Ville to have a car that will get me around town, short highway trips, save some miles on my truck, and carry 4 adults in comfort. I settled on a cadillac because I have never owned one before and because I just liked the body style. I could have bought a camry or a taurus or just about any blah 4-door sedan, but none of those models did anything for me. I went with a 96 because it was the last year that the rear fender covered the top of the tire. Not sure if that look has a name, but I like it.

Who knows how long I will keep this De Ville or if there will be another caddy in my future. Maybe the De Ville is the gateway car that will get me into other models, lol.

The car is in pretty good shape and running pretty good, but I already have some questions about shock replacement and I expect that I will be posting on here for future repairs. I did some reading on your forums before I bought and learned a little bit about head gasket failure (96-99 northstar) and the importance of changing the coolant on these vehicles, so thanks very much for that.

I look forward to learning a great deal more and giving back if I am able. Thanks for the great site. Very informative.

Robert in Tulsa