Member Introduction New to the forum? Stop in and introduce yourself! If you have a tech question, check out the General Technical Section

New to the Forum

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 11:02 AM
Default New to the Forum

Hi there Caddy fans. I've been around these things my whole life and kinda developed some sentimental attraction to the Crest and Wreath.

I remember our new 1979 Fleetwood that was the show car for opening day in Houston. My Dad drove that car for well over 200k miles and never put a wrench on the engine. Also did an 81 Coupe de Ville Diesel. That was a trip.

I have just inherited my Dad's 98 STS and will be tinkering with it to get it back in to top shape.

I know there is a lot of you guys out there that are more in to the newer stuff (STS, XLR, CTS, Escalade) and they are great vehicles. My Dad actually attended the XLR training experience in Phoenix back in 2003 and had the pleasure of driving one at 140MPH around the track. Thats all he could take about for months.

Me, I like em all. The 77 to 79 cars bring back lots of good memories, as do the 75 to 79 Sevilles.

I'm glad to see the brand re-invented and doing so well.

RQ
Midland, TX

Old 06-29-2006, 12:39 PM
Default RE: New to the Forum

Welcome to the forum!

I'm glad to hear a good experience with Caddy's...especially over 200k miles. Mine just hit 14k and everyone's electrical and hot engine problems were starting to make me worry...

Old 06-29-2006, 08:51 PM
Default RE: New to the Forum

Well the 200k was on the 1979. But the 98 STS is sitting in my driveway with 134k on the clock, although the pan gasket is dripping just a wee bit. Otherwise, runs like a bat out of hell.

Now I must admit I do like the Escalades. My father-in-law has an early 2002 EXT in White Diamond and he has just spied the new 07's so I am on the prowl as his may be on the market soon. But one must be honest - the Escalade (Tahoe); EXT (Avalanche) and ESV (Suburban) are very nice renditions of other GM products. But we all know they garner much more attention than their lesser cousins.

My point? I would expect service from an Escalade to be on par with that of the Tahoe/Avalanche/Suburban as the entire drivetrain is very close to the same. My experience is that the trucks give really long life and very little trouble. They are also, by comparison to the cars, less expensive to work on.

The cars on the other hand enjoy a unique engine and drivetrain not found in any other GM product, CTS-V excluded (notice where they had to go to get real reliable HP??).

But everything is relative and the price of admission to the Cadillac Club goes way past the purchase price just as it does with BMW, Mercedes and Jaguar. Luckily, with groups like these there is a wealth of information and advice out there to help almost anyone

Robert