Member Introduction New to the forum? Stop in and introduce yourself! If you have a tech question, check out the General Technical Section

Hi. Newbie from Castleton, NY

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 12:03 PM
Default Hi. Newbie from Castleton, NY

Hi all. I'm new to the group. My name is John and I have a 1983 Eldo. Nice to meet everyone. It's been "enhanced" a bit.

One thing I'm still working on is a trans pan leak. It may be a "warped" pan from over-torqued bolts in the past. Me and a buddy tried to ensure a good seal, but I'm still leaking. Any advice? Any new pans out there? Or, goodness forbid, could my lower end be warped causing a bad seal!

John

Old 09-09-2019, 06:38 PM

Are you sure the pan is leaking or is it a sensor or relay located above...I have seen this time & time again where it appears the pan is leaking but the real culprit is an O ring.....Its a difficult leak to chase.....

Old 09-09-2019, 07:23 PM

Thanks for getting back to me and the advice. Not sure what ring you would be talking about. It leaks with the pan on (and a new gasket) and the spotting is under the pan. Is there something outside the trans that could be dripping? Thanks, john

Old 09-10-2019, 06:43 AM

Would help if you posted a picture of the pan area. You did not mention if you replaced the gasket, if so, what gasket you use, was it cork, neoprene, or the better one which is reusable....In any event the pan should always be flatteded out at the bolt flanges every time you remove it to prevent torque distortion that you mention... Before removing the pan search out the replacement fluid...as the proper & correct fluids are becoming difficult to find these days.....

Old 09-10-2019, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by 03marauderman
Would help if you posted a picture of the pan area. You did not mention if you replaced the gasket, if so, what gasket you use, was it cork, neoprene, or the better one which is reusable....In any event the pan should always be flatteded out at the bolt flanges every time you remove it to prevent torque distortion that you mention... Before removing the pan search out the replacement fluid...as the proper & correct fluids are becoming difficult to find these days.....
Let me crawl under the car and look at what's going on now. I parked it in my back garage a couple of weeks ago and haven't had a chance to get back to it. We did flatten out the pan. I actually used the best gasket out there I thought. I did just use the generic fluid from Auto Zone so that could be the issue. Thanks for the advice. john

Old 09-10-2019, 10:18 AM

Before you go any further see if you can get a new OEM gasket from a GM dealer.....