Member Introduction New to the forum? Stop in and introduce yourself! If you have a tech question, check out the General Technical Section

Hi Everyone!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 03:21 AM
Default Hi Everyone!

I just bought a 98 Deville less than a week ago, and it is my first Cadillac and my first nice car. (traded in a lebaron- so ya know how that is!) Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the car so far, but was hoping for a little advice and support, as I'm having a few minor proplems and reading some terrible things on the internet!! Have I just made the worst mistake of my life??[sm=insomnia.gif]

I am hoping someone can tell me what the coolant temp is primarily supposed to stay at. All I can find in the owner's manual regarding this is that 248 is TOO hot, but nothing says what it should be normally. Please help?

Also, I have a service engine soon light which I am pretty sure is from my husband giving it the wrong gas- but I would be very open to other possible interpretations. "Cruella" is running fine and there are no other suggestions of a problem. I know that a diagnostic was run on her shortly before I bought her, and nothing came up wrong. Perhaps she just needs something reset??

Old 10-28-2005, 02:34 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Hi Everyone!

the wrong gas cannot trigger a CEL. those lights are to signify that there is an emissions control issue. as silly as this sounds, check the gas cap, and make sure that it is tight.

Old 10-28-2005, 04:22 PM

Thanx- have checked gas cap-seems tight to me. Any other ideas? And did anyone know the normal coolant temp?

Old 11-01-2005, 02:47 PM
Administrator

my advice would be to get the car to a large parts store chain, they will ususally pull codes for free. best case, it comes up with something like "minor evaporative leak", which means that you have a bad gas cap. gross evap leak is bad, and expensive.

Old 11-04-2005, 02:48 PM

Dear Nucad Girl,

Congratulations on you're Cadillac purchase, dependant upon the mileage on you're car normally the check engine lights requires the replacement of an 02 sensor. I understand you're confusion regarding the car being put on a diagnostic machine yet not throwing any codes, but if the dealership did the diagnostic you can be assured they reset you're computer prior to you're purchase.

As for the normal operating tempature of you're vehicle, it shouldn't run any higher than 190 degrees. All the Cadillac's I've owned, they never exceeded 190 degrees.

Good Luck,
Tony

Old 11-08-2005, 01:19 PM
Administrator

and if it does run a bit hot consistantly, look into a new, lower temp thermostat

Old 11-08-2005, 01:29 PM

Good morning! Just saying thankyou for response posts, guys. I really appreciate it. My Engine light did come off after filling tank with premium gas. I wanted to try waiting that out to see if it would just because the manual says that it will make it come on, and goes on to say that it will probably take at least a full tank of the premium to get it off. I filled up the tank and about three gallons later the light went off.
Anyway, I'm loving the car and everyone I know seems to like it a lot, too. Even my Dad, a life-long Ford man!! So I'm starting to feel a lot better about the purchase!!

Old 11-08-2005, 01:35 PM

Meaning that the thermostat itself may be the problem?

Old 11-10-2005, 02:34 PM
Administrator

well, someone could have put the wrong thermostat in, causing it to always run hotter

Old 11-10-2005, 02:47 PM

I see. Any simple way to know if that's the case?

Quick Reply: Hi Everyone!