Member Introduction New to the forum? Stop in and introduce yourself! If you have a tech question, check out the General Technical Section

BROUGHAM SHIMMY

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 12:54 PM
Default BROUGHAM SHIMMY

JUST BOUGHT A 91' BROUGHAM EVERYTHING IS GOOD WITH THE CAR EXCEPT IT SHIMMY'S ONCE IT GETS UP TO 55 MPH. JUST HAD THE WHEEL ALIGNMENT DONE AND THE WHEELS BALANCED. WHAT'S NEXT? NOT TO SURE WHAT IT MAY BE. IT HAS 20 INCH RIMS ON IT BUT I'M NOT TO SURE IF THAT IS THE PROBLEM OR NOT IF SO WHAT SHOULD I DO? THANKS FOR ANY INPUT RECEIVED.

Old 06-13-2005, 02:09 PM
Administrator
Default RE: BROUGHAM SHIMMY

when you had them balanced, did they check for a possible bent rim or broken belt in the tire??

Old 06-13-2005, 10:08 PM

I'm not sure this is a question that can be thoroughly answered without looking at the car. It could be many things. It could be a bad shock absorber, a worn ball joint/tie rod, it could be your aftermarket wheels if the hub offset is not correct for your car, bent rim etc. It could be as simple as a worn suspension bushing.

If the alignment shop had no difficulty in aligning your car, tie rods and ball joints may not be at fault. To make sure, check your steering for excessive play--there should be almost none. Turn your wheels to the extreme left and right--look at your shocks. If there is an oil/grease residue on the shock body, the shock could be bad. If you suspect that a shock is bad, count the times your front end bounces after you push down sharply on the front bumper--it should not bounce more than twice. If you have a bent rim, the person that balanced your wheels should have noticed it.

Sorry that I can't give you the answer, but hopefully you can find where to start looking.

Old 06-15-2005, 01:09 PM

CHECKED THE STEERING WHELL FOR EXCESSIVE PLAY AND IT SEEMS THAT THE TILT MECHANISM HAS A BOLT LOOSE OR THE STEERING WHEEL COLUMN MIGHT NEED ADJUSTING. WONDER HOW MUCH THAT'LL COST ME. THANKS