Member Introduction New to the forum? Stop in and introduce yourself! If you have a tech question, check out the General Technical Section

98 Deville Concours

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 12:24 AM
Thumbs down 98 Deville Concours

Hey eveyone new guy from New Hampshire. So as it says I have a 98 Deville concours and I ran it at the local strip few weeks ago and notice with the traction control button in the glovebox forces the tranny into second?.... How do I get it to just let me go into first without traction control. I don't even care if it's permanent. This is just my summer cruiser toy. I've tried searching everywhere and haven't found anything. So I finally gave up and came here I really hope someone has an answer to my question!

Thanks, Ryan

Old 10-06-2013, 05:38 PM

Just to clarify, you think the TC is keeping the transmission from going to first? I'm no mechanic, and I don't know how the TC works, but if you want to get it into first, all you need to do is manual shift. It's perfectly fine, won't damage the transmission or anything. So, at stop, have the transmission in (1). If there's a way to shut it off, do it. You should have all the power ready at Green. If yours has the column-shift, it may be awkward, but it can be done. The only damage might be if you forget to up-shift!

TS

Old 10-06-2013, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by SimpsonTruckDriver
Just to clarify, you think the TC is keeping the transmission from going to first? I'm no mechanic, and I don't know how the TC works, but if you want to get it into first, all you need to do is manual shift. It's perfectly fine, won't damage the transmission or anything. So, at stop, have the transmission in (1). If there's a way to shut it off, do it. You should have all the power ready at Green. If yours has the column-shift, it may be awkward, but it can be done. The only damage might be if you forget to up-shift!

TS
That's the first thing I tried. When the traction control is disengaged it forces it into second to start out with no option at all...

Old 10-12-2013, 09:53 AM

TCS works by the EBTCM comparing the wheel speed sensor voltage with vehicle speed. If the drive wheels rotate rotate more than 5% as compared to the non-drive wheels, in relation the vehicle speed, TCS will activate and either apply brakes to the drive wheels and/or upshift the transmission into 2nd. This is for safety and control. There is no way to disconnect this program.
You' ve got the wrong vehicle for the dragstrip.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:33 AM

I just can't believe there's no way at all to disable the traction control at all...

Old 10-12-2013, 10:39 AM

TCS is not designed to disabled. Cadillac Deville is a luxury touring vehicle, not a race car. The powertrain is not designed for full-throttle launches at a dragstrip. Remember, the 4T80-E transmission, even though very durable, is still chain driven from the torque converter sprocket to the input shaft. Chains will break if the torque loads are too high.
The EBTCM inhibits 1st gear to de-power the drivetrain to maintain traction, resulting in stable launches. Good thing to have when driving in low traction environments (snow/ice)
If the module did allow wheel spin a low speeds, the results are loss of directional stability. (steering) If the car had even the slightest amount of torque-steer, it would be all over the road.

Last edited by thewrenchman; 10-12-2013 at 10:59 AM. Reason: info
Old 10-12-2013, 11:15 AM

I fully understand the TCS and everything it does and for what reasons. I just don't understand how there isn't one possible way to disable it. I don't need it for any reason at all.....