Member Introduction New to the forum? Stop in and introduce yourself! If you have a tech question, check out the General Technical Section

86' deville won't crank / something running non stop with key on

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 08:23 PM
Default 86' deville won't crank / something running non stop with key on

86 caddilac deville won't crank over. I just purchased this car unseen and had it transported. I got it started yesterday it fired right up with starter fluid and some fresh gas. I couldn't get it to stay running without staying on gas peddle on and off either way it would die. I replaced the battery today and I figured out why it wouldn't stay running, there a red wire chewed in half from wiring harness at the carborater. After I connected it together it stayed running. It would start on first try, stay running, idle normal. Later I was in reverse and it died, then wouldn't crank back over. Has full battery power, no clicks when cranking. I'm assuming this could be something in wiring or ground? Maybe relay? Not sure where to troubleshoot from here.

Something stays running and has since the beginning of all of this process that doesn't shut off. Coming from under hood im assuming maybe fuel pump but it seems louder than I would think it would.

When it was running it was running smooth and when rasing rpm acted fine.

cadillac deville couple 77,254 miles. Hasn't ran in over 2 years.