Member Introduction New to the forum? Stop in and introduce yourself! If you have a tech question, check out the General Technical Section

2013 CTS Drive Chain Replacement followed by leaking torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 12:52 PM
Question 2013 CTS Drive Chain Replacement followed by leaking torque converter

2013 CTS Drive Chain Replacement followed by leaking torque converter

Sorry long post. I have a 2013 Cadillac CTS4 with the 3.6 V6 with about 115,000 miles on it. About a year ago when it had 104,000 miles I took it in to the dealership for a popping noise and lurch under hard acceleration. They found the left motor broke in half, but that wasn't the fix. This is the description on my invoice:

Found clunk when accelerating and a pop noise directly afterward . Inspected and found left motor mount to be torn in half. Replaced left motor mount an test drove again. Motor mount induced noises are now gone, but a popping noise is occurring under hard acceleration. Noise appears to be from transfer case area, most likely transmission output shaft to transfer case input shaft spline connection. Remove transmission, during removal 2 of 4 exhaust studs broke off and other were rusted to 1/2 their original size, remove all 4 exhaust studs from both catalytic converters, disassemble transmission and replace output shaft, replace necessary seals, disassemble transfer case, during disassembly found chain stretched, both snubbers damaged ad filter clogged, replace transfer case input shaft, drive chain, pump pickup screen, both chain snubbers, clean out transfer case and components, fill both units with new fluid and road test again.

As you can imagine this cost me a pretty penny. A few months later I had transmission fluid leaking from the torque converter. I had to have that replaced which also was a pretty penny. After the chain replacement I noticed a kind of lurching in the lower gears as I accelerated. After the torque converter replacement, this seems to have gotten worse, but I'm not sure if it is just getting progressively worse of the torque converter replacement made it worse. I've taken it back to the dealership and told them about it, but they comment that it is driving normally. I suspect that perhaps what was repaired initially, might not be repaired correctly, but I'm not a car expert by any stretch of the imagination. Just looking for some insight before I go back to the dealership and raise a fuss. Perhaps these cars are known for this type of failure at this mileage. I must admit I have hard accelerated more than one or twice owning the car . Thank you to anyone that can give me some technical insight into this.