Member Introduction New to the forum? Stop in and introduce yourself! If you have a tech question, check out the General Technical Section

removing a engine and trans out of a cadillac deville 1993 4.9....

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 06:30 AM
Default removing a engine and trans out of a cadillac deville 1993 4.9....

Hi i'm new to the web site this is my 3rd caddy but my first 4.9 engine and i need to take motor and tranny out do any one have some advice on the procedures to taking them both out at same time

Old 08-26-2009, 08:38 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by cadillac marvin

Hi i'm new to the web site this is my 3rd caddy but my first 4.9 engine and i need to take motor and tranny out do any one have some advice on the procedures to taking them both out at same time
1. why is it being pulled? trans problems?
2. get a FSM .. skip the haynes and other such useless literature

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=199...nual&_osacat=0

3. get a cherry picker ($150), dont use the rafters.
4. get a connector tool to disconnect harnesses
5. tag every connection, every single one.
6. upon re-assembly, lub every connection with di-electric grease,
7. torque & torque every bolt/nut, torque with a torque wrench
8. clean the engine/transmission BEFORE you start the job.
9. remove hood & radiator.

Last edited by stomper; 08-27-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:58 AM

thanks for the info but yes i'm pulling it because I broke the link inside the trans changing the neutral switch but the trans had a lil slip in it anyway so i'm taking to get looked at and while out doing a lil refurbishing to the motor

Old 08-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Tech Certified Members

thanks for the info but yes i'm pulling it because I broke the link inside the trans changing the neutral switch but the trans had a lil slip in it anyway so i'm taking to get looked at and while out doing a lil refurbishing to the motor
the link .. OUCH ! do you know why it broke? maybe you can pass on a lesson for the next guy?

you didnt say how many miles on trani .. if the car runs, before you take it apart, pour a bottle of LUCAS Fix .. that slip may well go away as often is due to a bit of glaze on the clutches that Lucas seems to take away. that may save you a chunk of cash - again, depending on the miles.

the 4900 .. how many miles on that? unless she is in the upper 150,0000+ mileage, personally I wouldnt open it or disturb anything, except maybe take off the valve covers and make sure all is ok there but DO change the timing chain. I would also install a new water pump, Stat, and of course, ALL hoses.

I'm a bit nuts .. assuming the engine got proper oil changes, no sludge, I believe on letting these engines go 250,000 miles w/o disturbung anything in the internals, except for the timing chain.

transmissions .. if they stop the slip with LUCAS Fix, same thing.
currently, I got four V8 performance cars on the road, all in the 90,000 to 150,000 range, running with Lucas, two of them were slipping and Lucas took care of it and that was two or three years ago and they are still going strong. These cars are driven well, and by that, I mean they are pushed to provide expected performance.

Last edited by stomper; 08-27-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:00 PM

Well let's just say spray that bolt down and letting it sit for a while before putting your elbow in it...........

the engine and tranny has 167 on it so what do you suggest i should do to it might i add that this car has been sitting up for 3yrs and 2 yrs before that well it ran good the last time i drove it just a lil slip i tried lucas and it worked but still slipped I figured just to many miles on it originally it was a nuetral switch problem and fuel pump I had bypassed the switch recently i decided to just change the switch .and thats when i made the big oops so now i have to pull it or just take the tranny out and pulling both seem easier,and i think i'll take your advice on just changing timing, water pump, valve gasket.....ect

really appreciate the help thru this project and seeing that I dont have any like minds around me (and you know how that can be ).....so any advise you have i'm willing to receive

Old 08-28-2009, 02:03 AM
Tech Certified Members

Well let's just say spray that bolt down and letting it sit for a while before putting your elbow in it...........

the engine and tranny has 167 on it so what do you suggest i should do to it might i add that this car has been sitting up for 3yrs and 2 yrs before that well it ran good the last time i drove it just a lil slip i tried lucas and it worked but still slipped I figured just to many miles on it originally it was a nuetral switch problem and fuel pump I had bypassed the switch recently i decided to just change the switch .and thats when i made the big oops so now i have to pull it or just take the tranny out and pulling both seem easier,and i think i'll take your advice on just changing timing, water pump, valve gasket.....ect

really appreciate the help thru this project and seeing that I dont have any like minds around me (and you know how that can be ).....so any advise you have i'm willing to receive
i bet the engine is just fine .. the tranny, well at 167K and slipping may well need a little work. pulling it out is often a major cost and you will have it out either way.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:18 AM

so if you were in my shoes what would you do? because yeah the motor is fine do you suggest rebuild or buy used?

Old 08-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Tech Certified Members

so if you were in my shoes what would you do? because yeah the motor is fine do you suggest rebuild or buy used?
remember how you asked ...

i'm about the numbers, the math .. i can buy two or maybe even three used good and guaranteed transmissions, for the cost of a single overhaul. I just happen to like salvage parts, and the price that goes with it. new filter & fluid, new gaskets, and off we go. do flush the torque converter if you go this way ...

I particularly like wrecked cars because then I know why the are in the salvage yard .. unlike the car that is there and you look at it and you dont know an owner would sell the car to the salvage yard.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:35 PM

ok i have the trans out i was wondering is it a way to get it checked with the trans out