Member Introduction New to the forum? Stop in and introduce yourself! If you have a tech question, check out the General Technical Section

1989 Deville Concours

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 01:46 PM
Default 1989 Deville Concours

Hello,
My mother-in-law quit driving and gave me her car. She had me drive it when it was brand new on a restaurant outing with the wife and I jokingly said "When you want to get rid of it, let me know!" Up till then, she got a new Cad everythree years. She remembered!!! As a above, 37kmiles, garage kept, to the dealer every three months whether it needed it or not. It's the white w/metallic. One or two very minor paint scratches-you wouldn't notice them unless you are looking hard. Looks and smells like a new car. I have made it my daily driver-figure it's 10 years old and it isn't going to last forever. Only real wart is the defroster vent/dash padding coming loose. Seems like common problem-been lurking a little. Any easy fix? I am considering some short sheet metal screws at the bottom of the defroster vent cutout in the padding.

Other rides:
2006 Toyota Sequoia-my daily driver until the Cad showed up
1982 Avanti-I have wanted one since I was 10
1977 Ford Bronco-the best toy I have ever owned-boughtin spring1978
1978 C-10CustomStake body-the project that got out of control
1996 Jeep Cherokee Country-the wife's daily

chuck

Old 10-18-2007, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1989 Deville Concours

Try this thread.

RE: Dashboard Warped - 10/5/2007 5:28:02 PM

slowroll

titleAndStar(143,0,0,false,",")

[align=center][/align]

The condition is called delamination as is common in all gm product especially in hot climates.The padded part releases from plastic structure that mounts dash top.The best way to repair it is with a new one it is still available althought catalog shows discontinued.a compamy call VPI who buys up tons of old gm inventory and dealers can get parts through them,however parts are NOT returnable.GM is very proud of interior trim parts so be prepared.If new one in out of the question a metal plate shaped like openning can be fabricated with tabs to hold pad down after adhesive is applied in gap between pad and panel.The adhesive I used on a dash repaired was "carpender's super glue" :Liquid Nail glues pretty much anything.Hope it helps [align=right]
(in reply to hutch1619) [/align]

RE: Dashboard Warped - 10/6/2007 1:36:32 AM

Stealth

[align=center][/align]

slowroll is exactly correct, but if you want to give it a shot at fixing, read this thread:

https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_11330/tm.htm

< Message edited by Stealth -- 10/6/2007 1:39:13 AM >

Simply CLICK on the Allante banner here to JUMP to our Allante section.

[align=right]
(in reply to slowroll) [/align]

RE: Dashboard Warped - 10/9/2007 12:51:20 PM

keithj

[align=center][/align]

I have a 98 ETC with same problem. I think the problem is that the defroster "hole" widens due to heat. I got mine to lay much flatter by making the little tabs on the defroster vent larger. I did this using a solder gun, heating the tabs so that they were pliable and shaping them so that they protruded a bit more. By making the vent fit more snug when I put it back in, it stayed level with the dash top.

Hope this helps. I agree that Cadillac should and should-have paid more attention to these details. [align=right]
[/align]

Old 10-19-2007, 08:59 AM

Welcome to the Cadillac Forum!!!

Old 10-19-2007, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I tried 3M Trim Adhesive and it held for a while but not long. I didn't think of putting towels between it and the windshield for down force. That would have helped. Now that I have 3M TA on there I hope construction adhesive will work 'cause that stuff really sticks. How much space is below the defroster opening for screws to intrude without damaging critical systems? Should be some room-I'd hate to puncture refrigerant line or such!

chuck
89 Deville Concours

Old 10-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Tech Certified Members

You have a flat dash where the problem lies which is a good thing.Remove upper dash place on flat surface to attempt repair.It may not require metal brackets.You will need to have enough weight to flatten pad to plastic under structure,how much depends on condition of upper dash. This will only work on 85-93 fwd devillie fleetwood dash because it's flat. Curved dashes will required most likely require the brackets.As far as screws it could be done, however upper dash still has to come off and it may look a little tacky. Hope it helps