General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

window regulator fix for 2000 series deville

Old 04-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Default window regulator fix for 2000 series deville

If your cable on the window regulator breaks loose from the bracket causing the window to fall down, rather than buying a new regulator assembly (from the dealer it's about $350) you can:

Take out the assembly after you line up the little pressed on piece of metal on the cable to about the middle using the switch (assuming it still works).

Buy a little U-clamp from a hardware store (about $1.00) from the wire rope department.

Line up the bracket to the swaged piece on the cable like it is supposed to be and drill holes through the white plastic on the bracket directly over the swaged metal piece on the cable for the U-clamp. This U-clamp is only about 3/8" across.

Push the U-clamp through the drilled holes and tighten the nuts on the back side.

Reassemble everything.

I have had three out of the four windows break like this and have fixed them all for a total of $3.21. My labor is free.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by blackdevilledts
If your cable on the window regulator breaks loose from the bracket causing the window to fall down, rather than buying a new regulator assembly (from the dealer it's about $350) you can:

Take out the assembly after you line up the little pressed on piece of metal on the cable to about the middle using the switch (assuming it still works).

Buy a little U-clamp from a hardware store (about $1.00) from the wire rope department.

Line up the bracket to the swaged piece on the cable like it is supposed to be and drill holes through the white plastic on the bracket directly over the swaged metal piece on the cable for the U-clamp. This U-clamp is only about 3/8" across.

Push the U-clamp through the drilled holes and tighten the nuts on the back side.

Reassemble everything.

I have had three out of the four windows break like this and have fixed them all for a total of $3.21. My labor is free.

Lets see .. $3.21 or $350 x 3 .. I like your solution.

Ditto on Ford / Lincoln cars with window motors .. $80 for a refurbished motor, or take motor apart and install three nylon bushings for $5.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Tech Certified Members

you guys keep on talkin, cause its all makin my window regulator problem a little cheeper..................... i like that!!
rickyd

Old 05-13-2009, 07:55 AM
Default 2001 Deville DHS - Driver Window Broken

OK, I'm listening! My left rear window cut loose a few months ago and I grudgingly paid the $350 +. Now my driver window is doing the same thing. Pushed the switch to put it down, heard a slight cracking sound and now it slides up and down by hand. I removed the panel last night (ugh!) and lodged a piece of wood in there.

So ... I didnt really take a good look at what was broken. I assumed I would need to buy a new regulator. Are you saying here that it's just a broken electrical connector? Is the connector on the regulator itself? Does anyone have a photo they can post? If I can find it, I'll take a picture and post it here.

Thanks