General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

typical purchase checkpoints for eldorado

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 03:15 AM
Ton
Default typical purchase checkpoints for eldorado

Olla Happy Caddy Drivers,

I'm a dutchy and consideringbuying a Eldorado 1992/1993 (these years, because of fine Dutch tax regulations).

Once bought a Californian Mercedes Bens 450 se. Looked good, but had to rebuild itthe following years.

To prevent buying another corpse, pleasehelp me withsometypical checkpoints for a Eldorado of the mentioned years.

I am familiar with checking normal wear (side noices, ball bearing wear, etc). But what are the favourite weak/rust (considering the Dutch weather) spots of a 1992/1993 Eldorado??

Also would like to knowif Caddilac produced different types of Eldorado's in those years and of course wich isbest tobuy.

Thanx in advance!

Old 10-17-2007, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: typical purchase checkpoints for eldorado

ORIGINAL: Ton

Olla Happy Caddy Drivers,

I'm a dutchy and consideringbuying a Eldorado 1992/1993 (these years, because of fine Dutch tax regulations).

Once bought a Californian Mercedes Bens 450 se. Looked good, but had to rebuild itthe following years.

To prevent buying another corpse, pleasehelp me withsometypical checkpoints for a Eldorado of the mentioned years.

I am familiar with checking normal wear (side noices, ball bearing wear, etc). But what are the favourite weak/rust (considering the Dutch weather) spots of a 1992/1993 Eldorado??

Also would like to knowif Caddilac produced different types of Eldorado's in those years and of course wich isbest tobuy.

Thanx in advance!

- play it safe, have a exhaust gas in coolant test done.
- compression test
- run it at high speed and make sure 4th gear engages and stays engaged w/o dropping down to 3rd for no reason,
- lack of silicones on leathers - they dry and crack
- check for existing codes
- STRUTS ..
- all other standard issues of any car.

as to rust, I cant help you .. our cars don't rust - California.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:46 AM
Ton

Thanx Stealth.

As for the weather, its rainy and foggy as i reply, so on the rust thing i have to trust on my own judgement. Ran into an eldorado yesterday. It seemed that it withstood dutch weather and salt on the road during winter for the last 7 years pretty fine. Wasn't for sale though.

Understood all but the struts. Looked it up, couldn't find it. Do you meanthat the gear change should be smooth??

Old 10-18-2007, 04:00 PM

whats the import regs like there?
Could try to locate one and send it..

Old 10-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Tech Certified Members

Eldos came with one body style. 92s 4.9L only 93 4.9 base ETC 4.6L. 92 could be had with column shift, I not sure you could find one.Back in 1998 I knew of someone who bougtht one, new. He was from scandanavia he got it thru Canada because they would not ship it from US.