General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thick layer of dried oil all over engine/driver side wheel well. What’s going on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 05:24 AM
Default Thick layer of dried oil all over engine/driver side wheel well. What’s going on?

So I just bought this 2003 Cadillac Seville SLS (84,000 miles) and I took the wheels off last night to clean the surface rust off the spindle and to just get a good look at everything, and I noticed a layer of oil over everything on the passenger side. CV axle, Tie rod, Engine, motor mount, it’s even caked up over some of the pulleys for the serpentine belt. Doesn’t appear to be fresh, but it’s the kind that you can wipe off with your finger and just looks like a layer of Black moist dirt over everything. Drivers side wheel well is clean. I’m assuming I have an oil leak. I’ve had the car for about 10 days, have been checking oil levels everyday and it’s been good so far; no puddles or anything like that.

Anyone have an idea of what the cause is? I’ve read that the seals in these northstar engines go bad pretty quick. Working on cars is new to me, but I’ve been teaching myself a lot these past few months by watching YouTube, and reading forums. I am very mechanically inclined, and can do about anything If I have the proper tools and instructions on how to do something. And I have a good amount of tools/access to tools. My knowledge on cars and mechanic work in general isn’t great though...I don’t know much, but i am eager to learn.

I know fixing oil leaks in these northstar engines is very pricey, and i don’t have any extra money right now, I just spent it all on this car, so if this is possible to do at home with guidance from a real mechanic (my neighbor) then I will try to tackle it myself. Any tips, or things I can troubleshoot and look for on my own would be greatly appreciated. I can provide pictures soon. Thanks.