General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OIL types

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 01:25 PM
Tech Certified Members
Question OIL types

I had recently changed oil in my N* and used a synthetic oil and later heared that there is no need to use this type of oil in these engines. Is this true and will it hurt anything if i do? If so what should be used?

Old 03-15-2009, 04:37 PM
Tech Certified Members

92.... just courious.... why did you go synthetic?...... to answer your question, ya know ...... ??? i'm really not sure, and have not heard, or read anything, yaa, or naa. i have always used 10W 30, castrol. and have used 10W40 in hot times.
my service manager just mentioned to me using a 5W30..... and im still picking his brain as to why. thus far he has not givin me a good reason other than it wont hurt it. well look into this for you
rickyd

Old 03-15-2009, 07:34 PM
Tech Certified Members

i felt that the better viscosity would help better lubricate the engine especialy at start up. other than that it was a valvaline 10w30 synthetic i also figured the engine would benifit since it doesnt break down as easy as regular oil.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:06 PM
Tech Certified Members

92... i agree with your thinking, i guess that because in changing that oil (old school- habit) every 3, to 4 k miles, and having to feed the sts a quart or two in between, that its well cared for. also, im thinking it started with good'ol crude, might as well keep it goin. i'm sure there are good reasons for the synthetic, and you are thinking right. i guess its all a preference...... hey yea, you got the nice lookin sls, right? white, or pearl white? i like the wheels too dude.
rickyd

Old 03-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Tech Certified Members

Yea its a pearl white color and it came whith the 18inch wheels when the guy before me bought it. the fact that this is my baby i tend to spoil her. LOL i figured any preventative maitnance will keep her on the road longer, so better oil should be better than good oil at least i look at it that way also this is my 3rd cady but my 2nd one with the N* (the first one with the N* had blown head gaskets when i bought it.. long story). You could call me annal retentive when it comes to my cars and i constantly keep tabs on everything on my cars. Also since i try to do most of the work myself i am able to inspect things as i fix or repair stuff so i am not surprised when something breaks since most shops just fix what you want and even if they see something wrong they wont say anything sometimes. I usually know the answer to some of the questions i ask on here but i always want to double check myself for safe measures.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Tech Certified Members

keep something in mind .. synthetic is a smaller molecule and will seep and leak where dyno oil wont.

also, look at the FAQ in this site, subject "Oil monitor algorithm" ..
it is meant to make your engine last, save oil, save costs.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Tech Certified Members

Oil monitor algorithm" ... yes, great, and interesting stuff! everyone should read
rick

Old 03-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Tech Certified Members

i just read that article and that answered alot of stuff i had questions about very good info. I guess i learned more about the differences between the two (synthetic and conventional oil) than i thought. Thanx for letting me know about that i will tell everybody that tells me that synthetic oil is better hands down.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator
Question

OK guys .. what are you reading that said that?

Old 04-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Tech Certified Members

https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/...itor+algorithm
IIRC this is where the info was that explained some of the differences in oil types and how the oil algorithm works.

Quick Reply: OIL types