General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

starting electrical issue 73 eldorado

Old 10-20-2017, 02:01 PM
Default starting electrical issue 73 eldorado

Got a 1973 Cadillac Eldorado that won't start. I put key in ignition, turn, everything goes dead. No power anywhere. I wait about 4-5 minutes and I have magically power back to lights, radio, etc. Try to turn car over, it goes dead again. Repeat...

I had the battery checked and it came back fine (1 year old)
I had autozone check the alternator and it came back fine on the check
When they checked the "starter system" it came back failed
I had a new started put in 1 year ago.

What would cause the power to fail and then 4 minutes later it's back on fine?
loose connection somewhere? Bad solenoid? I see the solenoid is attached to the starter, but I assume it come new with the starter? It looks just as shinny and new as the starter does.

any help is appreciated

Old 10-27-2017, 08:15 PM

This is what I suspect.... You have a bad cable and or ground. The large current draw by the starter is causing a poor connection/cable to fail. This bad spots can literally heat up, thus when it cools it becomes somewhat functional again.

Use high quality cables that connect to the battery, those replacement battery terminals are only good for the short run. Make sure the connections are clean and shiny at the starter's terminals. Another quick and dirty test? Use some booster cables, place one end on the negative battery terminal, the opposite end on a good ground-engine block or car body-again making sure there is a good clean/solid connection. If this helps, you obviously have a ground issue-again a bad cable and or corroded connection.