General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pass Key Fault light goes on and off

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Default Pass Key Fault light goes on and off

I am sure this subject has been run in to the ground, but please bear with me I am new. I just bought a 93 Fleetwood and according to the previous owner the pass key had been disabled. Well that is not the case and I was stuck 400 miles from home. The "pass key fault" light will come on and the starter is disabled. I figured I could bypass the sytem with resistors. I went to the dealership and found out my key is #12. I went to Radio Shack, bought resistors adding up to the right amount. When I put it all back together the light was out. The cr started and I thought things were fine. Well I stopped to fuel up and again the light came on and no start. I am positive I made the resistors right. Is there something else that could make the car act like it is a pass key issue but not be? I am waiting for my service manual to come in the mail. I have some small wiring issues that I found as I was working under the dash. Someone ran a jumper wire from under the dash near the fuse panel area to the back of the radio. They had stripped three wires looking for something and then ran it to a smaller red wire on the back of the radio. Any idea what they may have been doing? I will figure it out once I have a wiring diagram, but this makes me wonder what other wierd stuff they could have done. It also seems they tried to replace the whole dome wire circuit and did an awful job. It looks like I have some wiring work ahead of me. I already have the dash out. I know this is a long drawn out post, but I am running on no sleep and a bit delerious.

Tommy

Old 12-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Pass Key Fault light goes on and off

As luck would have it I have a 93 Fleetwood and I had that problem. I like to look for simple solutions first before thinking the worse thing possible. What I did was make sure there was proper power feeding all the systems in the car first. I cleaned and tightened the battery terminals and did the same at the starter wires which carries power to the ignition and basically all the power for the car. That starter wire was loose. Problem is solved. Total cost in cash outlay = ZERO.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the reply. I am going to check all my starter and battery connections now and let you know. I did do a OBD scan and came back with a bunch of codes. Of course I got the 00-46 pass key signal wrong code in PCM but in CCM I got a bunch of old codes. There are a lot of codes coming up for short to ground and short to battery for the same circuit. I am thinking there may be something going on in the steering column. You are right though. I need to start simple.

The jumper wires that someong put under the dash bug me though. So does the poor wiring on the interior light circuit that was added. I am certainly going to remove all of the crap that the preious owner put in the car. I wish he had been honest with me and told me about the "wiring" he added to the car. I believe in fixing things the right way. Anyway, I am going out to clean, tighten and check connections. (not in that order)

I'll be back!

Tommy

Old 12-03-2008, 05:16 PM

No luck. I started a new thread in the Fleetwood section. Until I get a wiring diagram I think I may be dead in the water.