General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no deceleration when coasting

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 09:30 PM
Default no deceleration when coasting

hello,

when i am driving the car, and lets say im going 50 mph and release the gas pedal, the vehicle just coasts at that speed until you hit the brakes. It happens at any speed. Whatever the speed is when i let go of the pedal, thats the speed it stays without giving it gas. Its a 93 seville sts 4.6L northstar w/ 196k miles on it. I have not done anything to fix the problem. Also, when i start the vehicle it has a high rev. Around 2-2.5 rpm. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:23 PM
Default RE: no deceleration when coasting

The high idle would likely explain the coasts symptom. If you fix it then the other problem is likely to go away. I’m surprised you transmission doesn’t have gear lash or your U-joins aren’t shot due to this issue. Do your tires bark when you put it in gear?

Mechanically or electrically there’s likely a problem in the fuel/air delivery system that can cause this problem. Otherwise check for a stuck throttle cable or a dead rodent somewhere in your engine compartment near the throttle body causing an obstruction.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Default RE: no deceleration when coasting

the tires dont bark, maybe because im on the brake, but there is hard shifting when i put it in drive. im thinking either a vacuum leak or a bad transmission valve.....