General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW, used 2002 Seville STS N* issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 05:40 PM
Default NEW, used 2002 Seville STS N* issues

Hey all,

I just recently purchased an 02 seville sts. It has 93K miles and is in great shape. Problem is the PO said he thinks the HG is done. According to him he block tested it and it failed. He then apparently put some block sealer in the coolant that is specially for the N* engine costing over $100. I have no knowledge of this product and would never have used it myself.

Regardless, when the car starts it idles quite rough and after warming a little bogs and almost dies but does not. Then it will rev itself and hold it for 10 20 seconds at a time somewhere in the 3-4K range. It will then idle and continue the high rev pattern but differing slightly from the last. Also if i push the gas pedal it will stick to the highest rev point i pushed it to for again 10/20 seconds.

I pulled the regular obd2 code and I got P0300 and P0101. I replaced the MAF but to no avail. I tested the block, it passed no prob. I'm a bit stumped and do not want to pour more than a few hundred into it. I work on BMW's but this car is quite a bit different.

If any of you out there have a lot of experience with the 4.6 N* and could suggest any common issues that this car may be suffering from, i would be very grateful.

Aloha

Old 10-26-2009, 01:07 PM
Tech Certified Members

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2b.html#bod this will help with codes...

when you changed the MAF did you clean with carb cleaner as far as you could in that area?? your other code is "engine misfire"...... plugs? wire?
i had a similar problem. i cleaned the area of maf as much as i could (probobly a whole can, revved her good, and started using premium fuel again. all gone!!

im sure someone will also jump in this one, so hang in.
WELCOME to the forum!!
have you been to member intro yet? you should. helps the techs help you......

rickyd

Old 10-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Tech Certified Members

If you have access to scanner (not a code reader) try to find out which cylinder(s) is misfiring. If not you could disconnect injectors as in a power balance to locate weak cylinder. You may need to pull coils to check condition of plugs and coils. Carbon build up in throttle body is not uncommon and can lead to idle concerns.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:03 AM

i know i mentioned my idle problem before but just wanted to ask i dont member if i mentioned it but wen my rad cracked some time back i put in bars leak powder stuff like pepper....Is it possible that darn stuff is causing my rough idle? clogging things up and just runnig throug system like that?

Old 10-27-2009, 12:46 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by 99STSGUY
i know i mentioned my idle problem before but just wanted to ask i dont member if i mentioned it but wen my rad cracked some time back i put in bars leak powder stuff like pepper....Is it possible that darn stuff is causing my rough idle? clogging things up and just running through system like that?

no !

however, which Bars leak powder did you use?
what is recommend is the organic one, usually labeled "GOLD" .. but no metal in it.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:39 PM

Yea i think thats the one i used was like 2.50 in a litle pepper shaker size tube. an looked like pepper as well. anyhow still driving me nuts, even heard a tech say something about it being headgasket letting exhaust thru mixing with coolant or drips of coolant into cylinder being burnt off etc.. but i am never low on coolant? and the occasoinal white ish smoke i see may be oil burn off ? not coolant? .....