General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New to me Caddi

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 10:18 PM
Default New to me Caddi

Hi everyone,
Im new to the forum and just inherited my first Cadillac. Its a 1985 Fleetwood Brougham. Ive been trolling the forum reading posts about the car and frankly Im worried. It seems that theres nothing good to be said about the HT4100 engine the car has and no way to really remedy any of its inherent problems. I love the car being as it belonged to my grandfather but its my only transportation right now and Im concerned about reliability. Ive gathered so far that a complete tune up is going to be required before I start driving it. Coolant,Oil,Plugs,Wires,Belts,Hoses,Thermostat,Fil ters,? Am I missing anything? The car hasent been driven more than 10 miles at a time or over 25 MPH for nearly a decade. The last thing I want to do is drive it for a week and have it blow up. If theres something you can think of that I didnt mention please let me know so I dont ruin this car. Thanks.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:03 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: New to me Caddi - 1985 Fleetwood Brougham

ORIGINAL: bigboi85

Hi everyone,
Im new to the forum and just inherited my first Cadillac. Its a 1985 Fleetwood Brougham. Ive been trolling the forum reading posts about the car and frankly Im worried. It seems that theres nothing good to be said about the HT4100 engine the car has and no way to really remedy any of its inherent problems. I love the car being as it belonged to my grandfather but its my only transportation right now and Im concerned about reliability. Ive gathered so far that a complete tune up is going to be required before I start driving it.

Coolant,Oil,Plugs,Wires,Belts,Hoses,Thermostat,Fil ters,? Am I missing anything? The car hasent been driven more than 10 miles at a time or over 25 MPH for nearly a decade. The last thing I want to do is drive it for a week and have it blow up. If theres something you can think of that I didnt mention please let me know so I dont ruin this car. Thanks.
if the 4100 has been maintained properly with coolant changes every two years you are probably in for a very long and friendly relationship with the car. you didnt say what the mileage and the maintenance history is.

the car is 22 years old .. expect a fluid leak here and there. so what?
chassis lube.
new trani filter and fluid (do NOT FLUSH).
new fuel filter.
new plugs .. get dual platinum used on the '90-ish 4900 engines .. look in the Allante section for part numbers.
if the tires are over 7 years old, be good idea to get new ones, they do crack and fail with age.
the other thing, check the exhaust system - short trips can do a number on it.

most cars dont make it past 15 years old, but these are Caddies and she is probably in fine shape.
my 4100 is only 2 years newer than yours and she can smoke them and pulls triple digit speeds,
with style.