General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice - considering 99 delegance with 24k miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Default Need Advice - considering 99 delegance with 24k miles

Never owned a cadillac before. Only thing close has been a Lincoln. I drive alot of miles so I'm in the market for a comfortable road car. I found a '99 dElegance with 24k miles, one owner, with all service records (not many with that kind of mileage over 9 years). It's like new. The consumer reports review on the '99 Caddies is not good, especially when it comes to Engine, Engine Cooling, Climate System, and alot of other stuff. Those problems seemed to have disappeared or started getting better in '04. Asking price is about $12.5k.

Can you guys shed some light based on your experience with these beautiful machines?

Thanks.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Need Advice - considering 99 delegance with 24k miles

Overall pretty good cars, make sure maintainence is up to date. Sometimes things can be overlooked due to mileage. There are many threads on this subject. 12,500 is a strong price the car,it should be flawless. You want to have a through inspection of car including onboard systems. Which will cost up to 400.00 depending on where you live. CarFax and GM VISS so there are no suprises. Typically Consumer Reports beat up GM cars pretty hard, I don't believe they factor in consumer abuse in the equation.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:48 PM

The dealer that has it was the original selling dealer and has done all of the routine maintenance on the car so it's a known quantity. Even the salesman is the one who sold the car the 1st time. Car looks good as new. Drives great, runs great, smooth as silk. I will probably ask to get underneath the car myself to make sure I don't see any leaks.

In general what are the overheating issues associated with these cars?

Ed

Old 01-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Tech Certified Members

w9r1....hey welcome to the Forum, and nice find....24k '99 Cadillac....wow... i'd be checking coolant changerecords for sure. is there Dex-cool in it now?. as slowroll suggested, take it to your mechanic for inspection........ as far as price....they, (the dealer) has a nice piece. sure they are going to ask the moon for it. they do have room though, you should ba able to buy for under 10...... check it out, after you have it checked out.....good luck, and again welcome.....keep the Forum posted, please........see ya 'round
rickyd

Old 01-30-2008, 08:15 PM

definately do a thorough inspection and if you get it be sure to post pics

Old 01-31-2008, 09:11 AM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: w9r1

Never owned a cadillac before. Only thing close has been a Lincoln. I drive alot of miles so I'm in the market for a comfortable road car. I found a '99 dElegance with 24k miles, one owner, with all service records (not many with that kind of mileage over 9 years). It's like new. The consumer reports review on the '99 Caddies is not good, especially when it comes to Engine, Engine Cooling, Climate System, and alot of other stuff. Those problems seemed to have disappeared or started getting better in '04. Asking price is about $12.5k.

Can you guys shed some light based on your experience with these beautiful machines?

Thanks.

18 years old .. $12,500 .. every rubber item on the car is nearing its end of life ...
will need to replace all rubber lines, brake lines (if rubber), hoses, probably gaskets are coming up ...

$12,500 ? ? ?

One can buy a few '99 cars for that.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:38 PM

[sm=bounceybounce.gif]If it has a Northstar motor, do research on head gasket issues and threads pulling out of engine block.Before you buy it, be sure and perform engine block test,(test kit can be bought at NAPA store cheap) run the **** outa of it, then test engine coolant gases for carbon monoxide(via overflow tank). Look closely through here on overheating issues on the 4.6 Northstar. You can't just pull heads off and put gaskets on it, you have to drop entire engine cradle and work your *** off (timesert). Cadillac kinda stepped on their dicks with these motors which are good when they are good.. and BAD when they are bad!!! good Luck! Dumokie

Old 01-31-2008, 03:33 PM
Tech Certified Members

w9r1, find out where the car is from.....is it a local car, from Fla? ........ can you get a vin #? i'll do a little checking for ya. Gosh it sounds like a nice ride...................hurry
rickyd