General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 02 Deville Is Dead

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Default My 02 Deville Is Dead

1-Turn key to start and...nothing. This happened once before and I pulled codes and among them got: NO DATA PCM and NO DATA VCM
I cleared them, tried again and the car started and has ran the few times its been started since. I took it to a shop to have a brake line repaired and to my dismay, its still there because I cannot get it to start this time. Once again it says: NO DATA PCM and NO DATA VCM.
I can't give you the other codes right now (I doubt they're of any importance at this juncture given the big two I've listed) because I pulled the PCM and brought home with me to inspect. No nasty smell or visible failure. Please, try to point me in the right direction. Where is the VTD module?
Car is 2002 Deville base model.

Reply to a post recommending I check the ground between the engine block and firewall:

2-Do you recall anything strange on your gauge cluster? Fuel gauge is blank, avg economy blank, gallons used blank, and the oil and trans fluid life are blank. The gear indicator shows PRND21 but doesn't indicate what gear is selected. Corroded ground sounds like a good place to start as this car should be the poster child for 10yr old Pittsburgh car. DID NOT receive enough winter time washings... This is why it needed a brake line repaired. ALL of the brake lines need replaced. Had I gotten a better look under the car, I may well have passed on it. Or, at least tried to get it for less than $1500. If this ground checks out to be fine, what are your thoughts on next steps?

3-Codes pulled today:
b1004 H amp
u1000 C amp
b3832 C ddm
u1000 c dds
b1004 h ?
b0409 c ipm
bo429 c ipm
b1004 h ipm
no data PCM
b1009 h
c0660 h
no data VTD
Now, of the codes pulled, the only significant codes are the u1000 which was a code for EVERY module. I also
noticed that the security light stays on continuously rather than blinking for what its worth. I thought it is supposed to blink if all is well.
Battery voltage tested at 13v after a charge at the auto parts store and load tested fine. All cables look like the day they left the assembly line (surprisingly). No questionable wiring what so ever. Im leaning towards a VTD
system failure though from what Ive read, a failure of this system is not that common.

4-
U1000 is a class 2 communications failure. None of the other codes are of any importance at all. A U1000 code was present for every systems check and is current. AMP, DDS, IPM, etc. Something is keeping all systems from communicating with whatever they should be communicating with. And as stated, there are no PCM or VTD codes
displayed, because it says NO DATA for both. If they were responding at all there would be codes or it would say,
PCM NO CODES or similar. I cant remember what a system without codes looks like. You know, there was a
strange history code but it could be from where I pulled the PCM out to inspect or something I may have disconnected at one time or another.
It was code:
B1009 H- EEPROM CHECKSUM ERROR.

These are posts I copied from another site. I really need help on this, I need this car running, not to mention its still sitting on the mechanics lot. Luckily hes a cool guy. He just has nothing to offer with current situation. Cadillac, ya know, lol.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:36 PM

I seen you replied to my post, just letting you know my 03 cts also had no communication with ecu. Thats why they replaced it. But still same issues, did not help one bit. So far im $600 plus into it with no change....

Old 09-26-2011, 11:48 PM

First thing I did was pull my pcm, brought it home, and pulled it apart. Now sure, I guess it could still be bad but visibly, there is nothing amiss. No cookage and no foul smells. Im really thinking its gonna be the VTD system in my case but I just cannot afford to strike ouy blindly on this. Being my second Cadillac, and being the researcher I am, I know this could become very expensive, very, flippin, fast. I shouldve known better though...I was destined for some major failure having only paid $1500 for her.
Name:  229581_211321098899532_100000649301435_703658_1210996_n.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  38.5 KB

Old 10-08-2011, 07:44 PM

2000 deville no power at all, turn the key no lights no radio it says nothing