General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Gas Burned in the Winter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 05:59 PM
Default More Gas Burned in the Winter?

It's pretty pretty cuckin fold these last few weeks, and that's about as long as I've had my first Cadillac, for about 2 weeks. I researched that the gas economy is 16 city and 26 highway. Everytime I fill up the car and reset the MPG reading, it always drops back to around 9s maybe hitting 10's driving longer distance. I'd say 90% of my driving is city, and for example I would have a 5 minute trip and I would warm up my car 10 minutes prior to that. Maybe it just gets averaged out like that, I'm not sure. MPG in the 9's seems pretty low to me, and I don't floor the car, I drive it rather nicely trying to increase the distance on the range. What can be causing the car to waste so much gas ? Maybe the really colder weather (10-20s F) ?

Old 02-19-2008, 06:33 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: More Gas Burned in the Winter?

Yes, artic weather increases fuel consumption.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:36 PM

So if i'm gettin 9s in MPG right now, the same driving but in 70 - 90 degree weather will be around 15s with no warming up ? Does that sound about right ?

Old 02-19-2008, 09:58 PM

You're wasting fuel (and promoting rapid engine wear) by 'warming up' the car. It's not necessary. Your engine is designed to be driven as soon as it's been started.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:01 PM

is this for the northstar engine only or....? im pretty sure you have to warm up a car before you go because the temperate for me starts warming up from like 28 degrees and i wait until it's around 130 to take off, so basically warm it up for 5 - 10 minutes or so. can any certified cadillac tech tell me if he's right about taking off as soon as you start the car in sub zero weather ?

Old 02-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Tech Certified Members

I always warm up my engines for the time it takes me to put on seat belts and trow it in gear.
Once you got oil pressure, you can go .. just go EASY on it for the first few blocks, dont do a burnout, dont race the neighbor's kid, and dont rev the engine to 7,000 rpm. Does that help?

oh,
- in sub-freezing temps, I get much less economy, in town .. maybe 20 to 30% more fuel?
- in snow packed roads, with the 4x4, lucky to get 8mpg .. that is 40% drop.
- all my cars get normal "instant mpg" at hwy speed (55mph to 80mph), dry road, cruise control, regardless of coldness or hotness.
- after 80mph, if you gotta ask, you cant afford it. My Allante gets down to about 5 or 6 mpg at around 105 mph. The 4x4 gets there (5mpg) at around 90 mph, and that is going downlhill.

Burning fuel at $3.25 / gal, sitting in the driveway is not wise.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:49 PM

thanks a lot stomper. this is for all the engine or just the northstar ?

Old 02-20-2008, 08:59 AM
Tech Certified Members

Pretty much any engine made since the 1960's.
before that, I cant be sure.

Maybe Gary can respond to that era, he has some 1920s or 1930s cars ...

Old 02-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

No need to warm any stock car up for 5 or 10 minutes, you are just wasting gas, but I wouldn't disable the traction contol and start doing burnouts right away.

My el camino which had a zz4 crate motor, I would let run for about 1 minute and then take it easy until she warmed up.

On days where I had to choke the model"A" I would start driving after the choke was all the way back in. Of course you retarded the spark when starting also, and advanced it as you started driving.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:53 PM

thanks a lot, since i warm up the car for like 2 minutes now and my avrg MPG were at high 8's , 9's its went up to 10's - 10.5's. lol its still bad but better, alrite for cold weather and all city driving i guess.

Quick Reply: More Gas Burned in the Winter?