General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leds

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:28 PM
Default leds

sooo i installed my interior leds in red. for a small 6 inch tube it lights up underneath my dash real nice. gives a nice red glow. So i bought a yellow plasmaglow led kit for the undercarriage. Neone know how to install them properly. I really wanna refrain from splitting wires and sodering i wanna do a direct install to the battery. ne info is greatly appreciated

Old 05-19-2008, 11:37 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: leds

ORIGINAL: CateraRacer

sooo i installed my interior leds in red. for a small 6 inch tube it lights up underneath my dash real nice. gives a nice red glow. So i bought a yellow plasmaglow led kit for the undercarriage. Neone know how to install them properly. I really wanna refrain from splitting wires and sodering i wanna do a direct install to the battery. ne info is greatly appreciated
go to a RV shop and ask them for a battery terminal with extra hook ups.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:57 PM

i was thinking with a lil bit of luck i could drill a hole in my firewall and feed the wires to the battery itself. unfortuantly there are no RV places around NYC

Old 05-20-2008, 12:02 AM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: CateraRacer

i was thinking with a lil bit of luck i could drill a hole in my firewall and feed the wires to the battery itself. unfortuantly there are no RV places around NYC
dont know a Catera, but the starter has to be fed.
where does the wire start? one of the solenoid leads should be hot with ignition on.
Even on the Allante, battery in the trunk area, provides a hot wire to the engine side, to feed the starter and good for a jump.

hey, maybe I'm reaching .. but this raid that hit the site has my head spinning ...

Old 05-20-2008, 12:56 AM
Tech Certified Members

Just use a good quality terminal block for all the connections once you get you hot source. Just be sure to use an inline fuse.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:14 AM

Now I'm not too sure what's this kit that you have exactly but if it's an LED kit it shouldn't usa a lot of power so you wont really need thick wires and worry about overheating them and starting a fire. I'm guessing you have to attach the neon tubes to a good base somewhere deeper in the undercarrage so the tubes dont break if you bottom out. You could run a regular 12 gauge wire and power them from the cigarette lighter and install a switch to turn them on and off. I ran a back up camera on a work truck and I ran the camera's power on a wire all the way to the front and attached it to the CD player's constant wire. I did this because I know the tiny camera barely uses any power and there is power from the CD player only when the car's on. These are some ideas, you can improvise the rest

Old 05-20-2008, 10:57 AM

i beleive it comes with all the wires i need and instructions but its like aaah. I was thinking bout ripping out the ashtray and cigarette lighter and wiring everyting there but im like blank when it comes to electrical. Solenoids, terminals, .. stomper if ur head is spinning im like doing backflips and doughnuts in the catera in old navy parking lots during the rain... what that gotta do with nehting.... but i need a simple way im trying to cut the chance of me blowing up the car.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:50 PM

anyone know if theres a rubber plug in the firewall or if i have to drill one into it