General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

i need experts with northsatr cooling systems

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 11:47 PM
Default i need experts with northsatr cooling systems

I have a 2000 Eldorado ESC Northstar 4.6L V8. I want to know if I have damaged heads and or broken gaskets. Here is all I can really say. The coolent leaks through the hose attached next to the resevoir cap, because there is some sort of pressure in the cooling system. When the engine is cool, literally cool, I turn the car on so that the coolent can start circulating and quickly fill the resevoir tank all the way to the top as the coolent circulates then close it up. I notice some small bubbles, is that normal? The exhaust smoke is visible (I think it sort looks like steam) is that normal? I already replaced the thermostat with a 180F, and the resevoir cap as well. My fans only kick in for about 10 seconds after engine starts, is that normal? And how does my oil dissapear if there are no oil leaks????? I have to add a quart like aaproximately every 2 months. I NEED SOME REAL EXPERTS WITH THIS PROLEM PLEASEEEEEE

Old 06-01-2008, 02:03 AM
Default RE: i need experts with northsatr cooling systems

The oil part adding a quart every 2 months is normal on a northstar. The part where it burns coolant and you have steamlike smoke might mean you have headgasket troubles. I'm not an expert in this area so I can't diagnos anything for sure.