General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a.i.m. system

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:28 PM
Default a.i.m. system

who knows about the tube that connect my heads to each other. thot i read that these were emission systems on the older 472s. Don't have a pump, big mess with the belts, but thats another story, do i need these?

Old 08-13-2009, 09:54 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by othello1968coupe
who knows about the tube that connect my heads to each other. thot i read that these were emission systems on the older 472s. Don't have a pump, big mess with the belts, but thats another story, do i need these?
the need is up to you.
most everywhere I know exempts 1974 and older cars from emission tests.

but you also gotta do the right things so that the engine runs well ...

assuming you care for your neighbors, you can probably run even cleaner than designed by installing a good catalytic which will burn off excess hydrocarbon emissions and wont affect the engine much if any at all.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:37 PM

thanks stomper.....without the pump anyway....does it do it any good? I can get a converter, but kinda need the space and just a hose and cork with some clamps.....not really cadillac style when you pop the hood. what do i do to remove it?

Old 08-14-2009, 12:49 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by othello1968coupe
thanks stomper.....without the pump anyway....does it do it any good? I can get a converter, but kinda need the space and just a hose and cork with some clamps.....not really cadillac style when you pop the hood. what do i do to remove it?

can you re-phrase?

Old 08-17-2009, 02:45 PM

Basically...I need the room for the alternator to travel...and it just looks ugly. The previous (owner/mechanic) weekend wrench turner just put a black hose with two hose clamps and a wooden/cork plug or dowel in the end of the hose. Can I, and how do I remove the tube? Can I, and how do I plug the holes?