General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

HELP Please! Air conditioning, center vents not opening,

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 09:05 AM
Default HELP Please! Air conditioning, center vents not opening,

Hi Everyone!
I'm new to the forum, My name is Paul from Northeast PA. I joined last week when I was searching for some expert advice on a problem with my 2000 Cadillac Deville in very good shape. I don't have a fortune to spend on repairs... Let me start off by saying that I'm a real greenhorn when it come to auto mechanics, but I'm pretty handy with tools and can better understand things put in laymans terms...
I hope you can help me with this one!

I came down with a problem in the climate control panel on the dash board last week. When I push the mode button to the center vent or center and foot vent positions. No air comes out of the center vents at all. The air is only coming out of the top dash (defroster), the door vents and the floor vents... I do have a service manual so I am going by the fuse #’s and names they use in the manual…
So far I have I followed the procedure for re-calibrating actuators.
1. Turned OFF the ignition.
2. Remove the battery positive voltage circuit fuse of the Instrument Panel Control Module.
I was very unsure which fuse this was since none of them were labeled as the
Instrument Panel Control Module...

So first I went into the front Junction Block (under the hood) and removed the
#7 fuse labeled- Instrument Panel and I also disconnected the negative
battery terminal.

Waited over 2 minutes before reconnecting the cable and fuse. It seemed to work for about 10 minutes.. I shut off the car and re-started the car and it wasn't working again...
So today I again followed the same procedure for re-calibrating actuators... in the rear under seat fuse box and removed the...
#2 fuse- Heater, Ventilation and Air Conditioning Battery
#4 fuse- HVAC Blower
and the #33 fuse- Heater, Ventilation and Air Conditioning Battery

None of these seemed to work... am I doing something wrong?

I even ran a diagnostic code check on the instrument cluster and to be honest had no idea what I was looking for?

Over the weekend I took out the glove box liner in hopes of finding the mix door to see if it was stuck so that I could spray WD-40 in it and was unable to find it...

Where is the mode door located that allows the air to pass to the center vents and is it fairly easy to get to?

Someone please advise me if you know of something I’m doing wrong or if there is something else I can do?