General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello There!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 02:01 AM
Default Hello There!

Let me start by saying Hello, im new to the place and finally got my Grandma to hand over the keys to a 1969 SEdan DeVille!

Its a beautiful car with 80k on it but hasnt been driven since 1999, The battery is dead and I need to do some tinkering under the hood, problem being...I cant get the darn thing open.
I know you guys are probably going to flame me for such a terrible questin but how does this thing open?!? please any help would be appreciated!

Old 04-06-2009, 07:47 AM
Tech Certified Members

hey dude.....welcome to the forum! and no flaming here for sure....... i trying to think..????? hood release????? '69 possible there is none inside, and it should be somewhere at the front of car. i know there are a couple members that have a '69, and will be more than happy to help.
congrats on the ownership, and if we can help down the road give the forum a try.
rickyd
i'll try and get the hood open for you....

hood release is for sure NOT in the car...... it is at the hood.. check around up there.... let us know.....

Last edited by rickyd; 04-06-2009 at 08:07 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RocketRanger88
Let me start by saying Hello, im new to the place and finally got my Grandma to hand over the keys to a 1969 SEdan DeVille!

Its a beautiful car with 80k on it but hasnt been driven since 1999, The battery is dead and I need to do some tinkering under the hood, problem being...I cant get the darn thing open.
I know you guys are probably going to flame me for such a terrible questin but how does this thing open?!? please any help would be appreciated!
if the hood has not been opened since '99, the lever may take some wiggle and pulling. should be under the hood leading edge/grill.

we dont flame, we just go all the way to the very effective nuking !
usually reserved for the spammers ...

welcome

Old 04-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Tech Certified Members

Flaming...are we having a cookout?

Old 04-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Default Thanks guys!

Thanks for the help already guys, i've found the one leaver thats off to the left of the center of the grill, it moves fine but it wont open still, I cant really see anything else that could be holding it down but most cars have 2 latches the main, and the secondary safety latch.
There are a couple other things right at the edge of the hood but more behind the headlight area, I was wondering if there was possibly an eletronic switch with a button or something that needed to be hit.
I know there is nothing in the cab, I didnt think something of the age would have anything inside but I didnt know if maybe Caddy was ahead of the times with its hood latches.
anyway enough babbling the thing still wont open.

Flaming...are we having a cookout?
If there is, i'll be there!

Thanks again guys

Old 04-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Tech Certified Members

as you are yanking on the center leaver do a "FONZERALLY" on the top of the hood. (give it a hit) that hood just might be a little stuck. or as you are doing the leaver, pick up on the hood. remember you have a safty latch also, once you pop the first one. ............ good luck!
rickyd

we'll get you into the engine compartment somehow..... oh, at the cookout...... your the one getting cooked..... lol

Last edited by rickyd; 04-07-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Default Woohoo!

ITS OPEN!

as you are yanking on the center leaver do a "FONZERALLY" on the top of the hood.
Finally did it, okay not really. The Safetly latch was is such bad shape it was bending back and not allowing the release so with a BFH and a long screwdrived I was able to get it back far enough.

As soon as it was open the grin on my face could be seen for miles, for sitting so long under a willow tree its in beautiful shape. I just went to the parts store and grabbed a battery and all the stuff for a tune up, if all goes well it will be runnin like the beast it is this weekend! Thanks for the help guys.

As far as the cookout goes, could I just bring the steak instead...

Last edited by RocketRanger88; 04-07-2009 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Forgot to say something
Old 04-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Tech Certified Members

GREAT DUDE..... so does it need some WD40? good luck, and send us some pics!!
rickyd

Old 04-08-2009, 01:19 AM
Default yay!

Thanks guys, its going to need some WD40, Fairy Dust and a whole lot of Hopes and Dreams, lol.

Its actually in great shape, I got the Pressure Washer out and went over it and it is by far the best looking engine bay ive seen in a car over the age of 20. Im so excited!

We towed the car up to my place so it was closer to the tools and what not and within 2hrs I had 5 neighbors come to tell me what an amazing car it was, if it can do that not runnin, I cant wait to get it started.

Thanks again for coming to my aid so fast guys I really appreciate it, im sure i'll become a regular here now.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:11 AM
Super Moderator

next time I'll have to say: "the lever may take some wiggle, pulling, and pounding "

iron/steel parts tend to "stick" with the years, specially if a battery was left connected and currents were flowing between the parts.

time to change out coolants and fluids .. BEFORE you start that engine.
hopefully all is well inside the crankcase.

read our FAQs on fluids, flushes .. that sort of thing.

they best be like these ..
http://www.omahasteaks.com/gifs/big/cmb7817.jpg

Last edited by Stealth; 04-08-2009 at 02:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Hello There!