General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ground Short

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Default Ground Short

94 Eldorado 4.6 Northstar Engine 77,500 miles. Have ground short, installed new alternator 2ND time, battery 12 months old, fully charged & holds a charge. Haven't started car since I installed 2ND alternator. Hooked up 12 volt test light attached to ground side of battery and connected to the negative ground cable which is detached from battery. The test light came on, I pulled all fuses (regular fuse blocks & MAXI fuse block)one at a time both trunk and engine compartment & put back. Test light still on after checking all of the fuses. YIKES!!! Pulled A/C comp, horn, fuel, & headlamp relays one at a time & put back, test light still on. All battery cable connections are all nice and clean with no corrosion. Battery drains after 2 days or did before the second alternator was installed, pretty sure it will again with a ground short... plus it could lead to possibly damaging the alternator. Had 2ND alternator bench tested before I took it from the parts store, it passed the test. HELP IS NEEDED, Don't have money for a technician to look at it..tough times right now!! Trying to sell car, it's really in sweet condition, except for this frustrating elect. problem. THANKS, Mcgyver